chaga fungus ID 2nd opinion

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Found this yesterday and need a second opinion, on dead Birch, black on the outside, golden / ginger brown on the inside with a soft spongy texture, Chaga or just some funky wood rot? Cheers. PS Happy Solstice.
free upload

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Mmmmm, probably funky wood rot. But it looks very close?

Dry it out and see if it'll take a spark much like Horses hoof.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi Guys
Sorry no pics in situ, camera down atm, it was growing on the outside of the trunk, a just like a regular burl or Bracket Fungi but just black.
I was out looking at a gnarly birch tree for a nice burl to use as a bearing block for a Fire Bow, but other than being covered with burls the tree looks quite healthy so still looking, the "chaga"/stuff was on a dead Birch on the forest floor. I try and get a pic today,
Cheers.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi Guys
That's cool, cheers DAVE, I was fairly sure it was, well 90% sure.
Spoilt for woodland and Birch around here Mr Baggins managed to get a couple of small burls ok without too much trouble, also found a few horses hoof / tinder fungus to have a shot at making some Amadou , there are quite a few big bad boys around here like this to, I thought about converting a bow saw to a wire saw blade and cutting them off vertically round the bole then covering the scar with tar. This one is off limits ATM but it had a lovely round profile. Its right next to some new flood alleviation works so who knows maybe one day. Cheers Guys
burl.jpg
[/url]

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE