Central heating for camping ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Anyone tried it, the practice of heating stones in the fire, digging a hole under where you sleep then bunging in the hot rock and cover it over.

I did it once whilst bivvying in late autumn, the next morning where I had been sleeping was bone dry and dusty as I had had a very comfortable night, the heat lasted through till early morning and even awake, the ground felt warmish.

But Know your rocks, rocks obtained from streams are not a good idea as the potential for them to break with impressive force when baked in a fire but rocks placed around the edge of the fire are usually a good candidate for heating rocks.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I've often thought about trying it but never got round to it, I've heated water with rocks to scalding point, Many many years ago.

I imagine it would be lovely in pine debris but I've never found decent rocks in those environments to use apart from sandstone which can shatter, not like river rocks mind,

Thanks for jogging my memory ! This winters project ! just a bivvy suit and a debris shelter / hot rock mattress:cool:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
There's another method which involves raking out the fire & sleeping where it used to be although you'd have to be pretty careful not to burn your sleeping stuff!

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I did it once a few years ago just to try it and learn the methods but never bothered since. Its a great idea if your in a situation were its cold and you have no ground matt or bedding. It did work very well mind. Just make sure the ground isnt warm to touch it should just feel dry and uncold!. Id recomend anyone who tries this dosnt sleep on it the first time oh and use a wool blanket not flamable sleeping bag

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Sounds like it might work. Me I prefer to heat up a Kelly Kettle and then bring it into the tent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE