Cave Dwelling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
there are several places i know where you could become a troggailite, several of them were used for that single purpose untill the 1960s, the up side is the ground is always 6 degrees winters or summer the down side is that the ground is always 6 degrees summer ot winter the damp is easiy drained away else where, alot of people are seeing how easy it is to build them for timber and earth as well now

forgot to say try google for alice springs in the aussy out back most of the whole township is under grown to avoid the desert heat,

if you ever wanted an extenstion all you would need is a shovel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry mate, I reckon you mean Cooper Pedy, opal mining city....about 700 km south of Alice...

Alice Spring is a nice desert town, jumping point to see Uluru (Ayer's Rock) and more. Cooper Pedy is nice for opals, got thrown out of the pub with the locals there ;-)

Grtz Johan

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There was an underground house built on the programme where they follow people building their dream houses. Hosted by that architect / journalist / tv presenter fellow.

I saw another one on tv once with an underground swimming pool with bridges over it and it looked almost like a natural pothole / cave pool that had been added to. It made me want to get an underground house built too. Oh for a lottery win!! I've always wanted to have an underground house since a kid. I am strange though or ahead of my time. I mean imagine the insulation!! It is possibly greener than building above ground.

The one on that home design and build programme was in Cumbria, near Penrith on a hillside IIRC.

There are many cases of cave dwelling lasting up to modern times. Turkey, France, UK (The Millican Dalton guy - professor of the outdoors), etc. They are good solutions to local problems in some cases like the Cooper Pedy ones.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
A friend of mine Dai Jenkins, a dry-stone waller in the Lakes (it wouldn't surprise me if a few of you knew him) was apparently evicted from Millican Daltons cave in Keswick by the National Trust.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE