Catching rabbits humanely?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Both those brands can. It is hugely important to learn how the gun behaves when the barrel heats up. My FX places the first shot 5 cm low, 6.30.
The next 4 move towards inner 10. This on 60 meters.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I am partial to FX.
Yes, Weihrauch do make excellent guns too.

Nichiren, what caliber are you thinking of, .17 or .22?

I'm partial to FX too, particularly the Verminator. Price is a problem for me.

I had a very nicely kitted BSA Ultra SE for a while, a lovely compact rifle, but I sold it to go back to springers. I just prefer the feedback and concentrating on getting my single shot just right.

Don't start with the caliber thing, that'll run and run. ;)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I believe that every hunter has the dream and the expectation that the first cold shot is the only one needed.
One shot is all that's needed, yes? Always my pleasure to watch my GF drop grouse, one shot each.

Game just won't hang around for you to blast away, shot after shot. Only happens on paper or from an armchair.
Learn to shoot. Get coached for your breathing, etc.

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Springer tx200
pcp s200 (great light starter) or my preferred is bsa r10 mk2

i know this will start a war but go for a .177 as it'll give you a flatter trajectory and better pellet placement.
Personally I'd learn my craft on a springer as pcps are clinical and over all you'll be a better shot it you learn with a little kick. Knock up some shooting sticks and get lots of practice before taking game.

Good of luck and enjoy.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Went I went on killing sprees when I was young(er) I took stupid shots. Because ' it will be fine'.
What cured me was tracking down a deer with a bullet in her hip then having to kill her looking in her eyes.

Now I only shoot iguanas. if I need more than 2 head shots I feel turning militant Vegan.
They are difficult to kill, the brain is very small.

Nobby, no war. A well placed .17 is better than a badly placed .30!

As you surely know, it is not the size that is important but how you use it!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's true Gun Control = proper shot placement.

My first deer: put a .30-'06 x 165gr in the engine room, just behind the left shoulder. Maybe 200 yds at most. Buck didn't move!
I thought of all the paper punching and that here I go, I missed. Did I see some shock dust come off his fur?
Second shot, same as the first and that was a huge leap and dead.

I wish you all well with the bunnies, they do go well with plum sauce.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
And here we go again...any chance of a banghead smilie?

deserted.gif

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I shoot and snare them. Problem is that, if you're out and about, you haven't got permission to shoot. So snaring is my choice. If possible I find out and ask who the land belongs to and ask........if not :angel::angel::angel:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I assume you want a gun with a compressed air detachable cylinder?
Several superb manufacturers out there, youtube the subject and have a peek.
Do no forget to add the cost of a scope and a pressure tank plus regulator. But you will then need a place decently close by that can fill up your tank.

FX are on the expensive side, but they do a model with an inbuilt pump.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I can hit a one pence piece at 40 yards no probs with just a 4 power low cost, but not cheap scope, on a .22 AAs400 carbine. If you cant do that you shouldnt be hunting. Granted thats a very low magnification, but its all the german snipers had during WW2.

[I can hot a two pence piece at 60 yds.] Consistency is key.

I dont have mildots. You get used to your equipment through practice. Practice practice practice. I joined an HFT club. Mines zeroes at 30yds.

Unfortuantely mixy has spread from ilkley moor to st ives in bingley, and Ive been having to break necks lately. [Which is a lot easier than breaking a pigeons neck.]

Poor creatures. I believe I read its ok for dogs to eat rabbit meat infected with mixy, but not humans?

I do not like the fact that scientists created a plague to wipe out an entire species. I think thats abhorrent.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Myxomatosis is a natural disease, but was spred by humans to eradicate rabbits. Australia first I believe?

Backfired of course, like with most things humans do to when they ‘help’ (= mindlessly mess with) nature.
Like introducing rabbits to Australia. Then introducing Myxo to eradicate them.

Reactions: Dave

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Myxomatosis is a natural disease, but was spred by humans to eradicate rabbits. Australia first I believe?

Backfired of course, like with most things humans do to when they ‘help’ (= mindlessly mess with) nature.
Like introducing rabbits to Australia. Then introducing Myxo to eradicate them.

Really? My understanding was that myxomatosis is a man made disease, it was created in a lab by humans and spread out of control.

Reactions: Navek

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I can hit a one pence piece at 40 yards no probs with just a 4 power low cost, but not cheap scope, on a .22 AAs400 carbine. If you cant do that you shouldnt be hunting.........

Realistically very few hunters shoot that well. I didn't shoot that well myself until I was aout 12 years old (after hunting several years)

Reactions: Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE