Catch 22 - The shave horse paradox

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
For months now I've been after a draw knife from the 'boot and on Sunday I was rewarded with a very rusty C.Whitehose & Sons one, although skeptical at first, I managed to get a working edge and so far so good

94648cf718f1dbfa463d5adf52adb056.jpg

4c802a524b24c4900728de8b29d32efd.jpg

If you have a draw knife, by virtue of logical thinking you have to make shave horse, it's just the way of things.

What do you need to make a shave horse? A shave horse. ****.

Still, undeterred I got out the B&D workmates, added ballast...

2e3fd9c2956477e648151d4158c1d0b2.jpg

And away I went, I had two similar sized pieces of pine which I have now started to shave into legs.

f1640f1ec5271f7e3ca533c6eec4a6ec.jpg

Which is where the Beer:safety ratio became too great and I'll do some more tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted on how it turns out, it's probably going to take a while!

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'm puzzled to where the paradox is.

You don't need a draw knife to make a shave horse, nor do you need a shave horse to make a draw knife????

So you buy a draw knife, but the initial shave horse can be made from entirely 'square' stock... once the horse is in action, more horses can be made using said draw knife.

No paradox.

Sorry if I sound pedantic, but I get irritated by the misuse of words. And obviously my irritation irritates people. Even that's closer to a paradox than a draw knife/shave horse scenario though.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
It's a similar situation with workbenches - you need a workbench to make a decent workbench!! The solution? Build a cheap and nasty one with what you have at hand, then use that to make something more like what you had in mind!

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
Well I sort of finished it. After a single block of wood for the cheese, and it needs some tweaks to the cramp. The socket joints left a lot to be desired but it works and I'm enjoying making shavings.

Apologies for the lack of 'during' images.

554fbc5e6a6e9cd415b2855ca376eb1d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE