Catapult Ammo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Hi all,

So getting back into catapult shooting. I'm trying out different sizes before settling on a favourite and getting good before going out and hunting.
Anyway just wondering what size and reccomendations on sourcing ammo, I've been getting ball bearings off eBay so far.

Welcome to any advice !

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Lead. Cast your own. 0.38 ball for a start.

I have a lot of steel ball bearing balls, about 10mm diameter, can't remember exactly, and while they fly very nicely, I think that they lack mass for their size. I haven't tried the cast balls myself, but was discussing the matter with a friend who used to hunt and still plays around with the kit, and he showed me his set up and described hunting experiences.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The lead vs steel argument was settled decades ago, all across North America.
Force feeding 3 lead pellets to a wild duck will kill it.
While shotgun hunting used the traditional lead shot, it came to pass that all
waterfowl, migratory birds (ducks and geese) can be hunted only with non-toxic shot.
As for cost/price, the common answer was steel shot. There are other more expensive options.

In the field, it's obvious that steel shot, in equivalent sizes just doesn't have the punch.
The answer was to move up 2 or more shot sizes when shooting steel.
For ducks, I went from #4 lead to #2 steel, for geese, I went from BB to BBB and T.
In the end, that's been fewer pellets. Had to make my swing a little smoother!

Our grouse are forest birds. I used to hunt them with #7.5 lead trap loads, plenty of punch.
It's also true that tossing the field dressings back into the forest does not take 20 minutes to disappear.
So for the sake of all the carnivorous scavengers that I live with, I switched to #6 steel.

Catapult ammo: Have you done any experiments to measure the target damage done by same diameter lead & steel?
.38 lead might be the equivalent to .45 steel.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Err, from my school days...

Cider Apple sweets, they have half decent punch, if they hit something concrete the evidence disintegrates and if you have no targets you still have sweets.

Ahem.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
-Ball bearings
-Lead buckshot (0000 buckshot = 38 caliber)
-Black powder rifle/pistol balls in assorted calibers from 32 to 75
-Glass marbles
-Hex nuts

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Planning on hunting rabbits and when confident enough squirrel and pigeon.

Thanks for all the feedback, seems like I have some trialling to do! Going to try some small lead and see but also different steel sizes, obviously my aim and a swift dispatch are the priorities here so if lead is going to pack more punch, I'll eat around the hole!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
OTE=Tommyd345;1818630]Planning on hunting rabbits and when confident enough squirrel and pigeon.

Thanks for all the feedback, seems like I have some trialling to do! Going to try some small lead and see but also different steel sizes, obviously my aim and a swift dispatch are the priorities here so if lead is going to pack more punch, I'll eat around the hole![/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
4th of July is a big holiday in UK too.

What? No it isn't, nor was Halloween until a few years ago. One turkey a year is enough.:lmao:

Back on the topic, I'd never use a catapult for hunting, but I like .38 or .45 steel for plinking. I've seen Longstrider shoot a .45 lead shot at half inch ply and it punches straight through. Mind you that was quadruple Theraband Gold!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE