Cast Iron Griddle Bin Find!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Was at friend's for tea last night and we found a rectangular cast iron griddle plate in the bin round the back of her flats - result!

it has handles at either end, weighs a ton, is ridged on one side and flat on the other with a grease trap. There is some slight rust on it and I'm wondering if anyone has experience of cleaning these things up without damaging them?

Finally, my fried suggested using it on a BBQ. Are they suitable for something like this? Sounds like a daft question but I'm wondering if the intense flame/charcoal heat may damage/warp the plate?

Many thanks!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Seeing as its new to you and you don't know its history, I'd suggest a good scrub with scouring pads, maybe even "Brillo" pads with plenty of soap & water to clean off any rust or nasties that might be on it.

Once you've got it clean - get it hot and wipe cooking oil/fat/lard into the cooking surface and let it soak in - just as if you were seasoning a dutch oven.

Thereafter, don't go near it with any abrasive or soap product - just wipe it clean after each use with a damp cloth or for really heavy deposits, clean it while its hot by putting water in it and boiling off any burnt on food.

Lastly, a normal barbeque can't get hot enough to damage a cast iron griddle.

ATB

Ogri the trog

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Cleaning has already been covered so I'll move to your question about using it on the BBQ. Yes. You can indeed. However, the ridged side is for "simulating" BBQ indoors by giving the "grill marks." to whatever you're cooking.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've gone a different way in the past - electrolyse the rust off. You just need a battery charger and some washing soda (cheap as chips). Totally removes all rust - no mess no fuss.

If the seasoning is shot, heat it up very, very hot directly on bbq coals and brush off with a wire brush and start from bare metal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE