Cast iron cookware question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Just a quick question about cast iron frying pans, the cheaper ones have a much rougher surface than the more expensive ones. Is there any way to smooth this surface, I find that they are much more stichy (even after seasoning) than the better quality ones.

Thanks Mark.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've got a Dutch oven but not a pan, it's the Ronnie Sunshines one and it's very good! What pan are you using? I have no idea but maybe you could just sand it? :)

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
I have a few cheap ones (Lidl, B and M ) and a few better ones, just wondering if like axes cheap ones could be fixed by a bit of work.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I recall British Red having a tutorial (mesquite beat me too it!) on sorting these, he used a small hand sander to take back the high points and did a light sand inbetween seasonings. I used a block and various grades of paper to sand back the rough bits on a potje I bought on ebay..

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The short answer is, YES, you can sand it smooth. The older brands, Wagner, et al, did so at the factory. The newer ones not so much.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE