Carving with a bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Just found this video on the tube.
It's a maroccan fellow on a market making chesspieces with a bow.
[video=youtube;wnv0DAR_gWA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnv0DAR_gWA[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
Wow. I asked myself why am I even clicking this link but I wondered what a bow had to do with chess. Then within seconds I was hooked. What skill!

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
That man has some skills ,can you imagine what he could do with all the tools and full on lathe

Jason

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I lived in Brussels I got a summer job ripping out the interior of an old elegant house in the city.
As well as a friend (another member of the Rugby club I played for) I worked along a chap from the Congo.
This guy was straight from the depths of the country and not at all in tune with the city...
However, when it came to our having to dig Lino out of an oak board floor with chisles us city slickers were on painful knees, bent double and using chisel in one hand mallet in the other.
The Congo guy sat comfortably, ciggie in one hand, mallet in the othe and chisel held in his toes!
He enjoyed the job - we suffered through it :)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Please explain to a poor Dutchman with only google translate to help him, what on earth an ambidextrous is?:confused:

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
OMG
In 2007 me and my family drove overland to morrocco, whilst we were there we visited Marrakesh, we actually got to see this man doing what he does. He was incredibly skilled but also incredibly kind, whilst my family stood there mesmerised, he carved not me and my sister small pendants and put them on cotton for us, we were incredibly touched. We also bought some skewers from him as a present for some friends.
The best part of his work is the small floating rings he can carve onto a wooden bar that then rattle, it is quirpte increddible
I am truly amazed that I have seen this video on here of a man whom I have met and admired

A massive thank you for posting, you have made mine and my parents evening

Ben

Sent using the force

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Just mind-blowing skill. I use a skew chisel with my power lathe, and with 2 hands and lots of time I usually foul it up. His control is incredible. That bit of turning is way beyond me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE