Carving useful stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 28, 2014
Church Village
Could anyone help with my getting hold of a few tree limb off-cuts of suitable type and size,to try carving a kuksa,spoons etc as xmas prezzies?Not sure yet where to find hard woods.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
For carving these kind of items you need green wood (fresh cut or wind felled), this time of year any tree with out leaves is a "hardwood" so your local woods is a good bet. Failing that phone a local tree surgeon and ask them nicely explaining that you are a novice carver, I had some favourable results when I started out woodturning many years ago and also from my local authority who had a tree clearance yard.
good luck and happy carving, Rob.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Generally, if its evergreen, it's soft wood. Deciduous are hard woods. So if it aint got a leaf...... cut a bit off. :)

You must know what the sliver Birch looks like? Thats a nice carving wood, quite soft and light for a hardwood, easily recognisable and great starting point.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE