Carving a Spoon (Novice)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
It really doesn't matter to be honest.

The idea of oiling it in the first place is simply to provide a food safe barrier. It also imparts some cosmetic benefits as the grain comes out nicely (especially birch or fruit woods such as apple or cherry).

It is largely down to personal preference but I tend to do 3 coats, each one day apart but I use Tung Oil.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
With the natural variances in the wood, oil and temp/humidity of your house there's no real definitive answer I'm afraid. Just give it a buff and coat every day or so 'till it stops being absorbed.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
It really doesn't matter to be honest.

The idea of oiling it in the first place is simply to provide a food safe barrier. It also imparts some cosmetic benefits as the grain comes out nicely (especially birch or fruit woods such as apple or cherry).

It is largely down to personal preference but I tend to do 3 coats, each one day apart but I use Tung Oil.
The thing that confuses me about waiting so long is that this raw linseed oil seems to dry in about 30 minutes, so waiting a full day seems rather strange. I guess it doesn't matter. I may just do what you do as I don't plan on using it yet and it'll give me something to do in the mornings

Edit: Applied coat one. I guess I'll just wait until tomorrow for coat two. I'm not sure it matters terribly, but I'll just follow your guideline, Stringmaker.

Last edited:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
The thing that confuses me about waiting so long is that this raw linseed oil seems to dry in about 30 minutes, so waiting a full day seems rather strange. I guess it doesn't matter. I may just do what you do as I don't plan on using it yet and it'll give me something to do in the mornings.

Is there any guidance on the oil container?

I'd just go by the touch test; if it feels hard dry then bash another coat on it. I tend to work largely on my projects in the evenings so leaving the oil overnight works for me.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You'll find labels are taking drying variances into account but also even when something feels dry to us it may still be curing. Like shoe polish buffing up better the next day and concrete continuing to set for years. Also some finishes can become gummy if fresh is applied to uncured coats.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
You'll find labels are taking drying variances into account but also even when something feels dry to us it may still be curing. Like shoe polish buffing up better the next day and concrete continuing to set for years. Also some finishes can become gummy if fresh is applied to uncured coats.

By gummy do you mean a feeling more akin to plastic than wood? My first spoon I oiled feels not like plastic but also not like wood. It just feels smooth and laminated. I'll just put one coat on for three days. I'm sure that'll suffice. However, the first coat is already pretty dry after 20 minutes. Strange.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
By gummy do you mean a feeling more akin to plastic than wood? My first spoon I oiled feels not like plastic but also not like wood. It just feels smooth and laminated. I'll just put one coat on for three days. I'm sure that'll suffice. However, the first coat is already pretty dry after 20 minutes. Strange.

Yes can feel plastic like and or sticky. Have see the same oil do totally different things down to UV, humidity, temperature and seemingly just for the sake of it. Pal of mine will oil his walking sticks that he makes over periods of weeks. Just occasionally going back and a rub with a boiled linseed soaked rag. Lovely finish. And of course as you use it it'll need the occasional top up.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Yes can feel plastic like and or sticky. Have see the same oil do totally different things down to UV, humidity, temperature and seemingly just for the sake of it. Pal of mine will oil his walking sticks that he makes over periods of weeks. Just occasionally going back and a rub with a boiled linseed soaked rag. Lovely finish. And of course as you use it it'll need the occasional top up.
All in all, I think as a beginner I'll just do one coat a day for three days. Simple enough.

Thanks again everyone. This thread's really quite big now so the last thing I'll post is a nice photo of the two spoons completely finished.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Some people like to heat up the oil to make it soak in quicker, I myself like to use it cold. Use a cloth rather than tissue as bits will fall off and you'll end up with a mush, just apply to cloth and rub it in or if using it heated up use a paint brush to apply then rub with a cloth. If you have a suitable container you can place the spoon in and pour oil over it and leave overnight and give it a good rubbing.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
errrm ...cough... see post 94 :) Beeswax and Tung oil give a much better finish than just Walnut oil (which I used to use awhile back)- The gloss is higher and the beeswax seems to bring out the growth ring patterns better.

THOaken

I know some will say cut out the knots but may I encourage you to love those? they just require a little more time,and patience but it is well rewarded!
and here is an example below! click on pic for a larger one.

Hillbill blade :)

Attachments

• spoon1.jpg
    spoon1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 5
  • spoon2.jpg
    spoon2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 4
  • spoon3.jpg
    spoon3.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE