Carving a simple Wood Spirit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
As I was asked to do a tutorial I thought I would give it a go, now I have not carved many of these before so I'm no expert but this is how I carve them.
I used a small piece of Ash about 3cm wide, so the detail is never going to be as good as a large carving.

The tools I have been using are cheap detail carving tools like these you can get them from Ebay I think I got these a few years ago for a pound.

DSC_2004.jpg

DSC_1966.jpg

I start off by carving out the size and shape of the face with the 6mm gouge.

DSC_2009.jpg

DSC_1967.jpg

When I am happy with the face size I remove the bark leaving the nose in bark.

DSC_1968.jpg

I leave the bark on the nose as a guide, you can use pencil to mark out your face details if you want or you can just do the whole carving by eye. For the next bit I use a pen or pencil to mark out details of the eye sockets and the moustache.

Reactions: safronsue

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
DSC_1969.jpg

Here you can see where the top of the eye sockets are and the shape of the moustache marked out in pencil.

Now I start to carve out the eye sockets using the 6mm gouge, to determine the depth of the eye sockets you have to imagine how big your spirits nose will be.

DSC_2009.jpg

DSC_1970.jpg

When your happy with the eye sockets.

DSC_1971.jpg

You can then remove any wood around the face to give the moustache, beard, and nose the shape and depth you want.

To remove the bark from the beard I use the 7mm straight bevel.

DSC_2008.jpg

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Now at this stage when your happy with with your spirits face and beard you can start to add detail, I use the v shaped tool to carve out an outline around the beard

DSC_1972.jpg

DSC_2006.jpg

DSC_1973.jpg

As this is only a small simple carving I am not too bothered with the eye detail so I use a 4mm gouge tho carve out the eyes

DSC_1975.jpg

Now you can start of by adding the hair, eye brows and other details to your wood spirit.

DSC_1977.jpg

DSC_1976.jpg

DSC_1978.jpg

DSC_1979.jpg

Now that its taking shape you can refine any other details or re shape any part of the face if your not happy with it.

DSC_1996.jpg

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
At this stage I am quite happy with it and have an idea as to what this little spirit will become, so I start to carve the top and bottom of the spirit with the knife.

DSC_2003.jpg

DSC_2001.jpg

DSC_2013.jpg

The idea I had for this little fellow now I'm happy with him was to soak him in scented oil add some elastic.

DSC_2024.jpg

And turn him into a air freshner for the van at work, now he can watch over me all day.

DSC_2023.jpg

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
ooh i reckon i know what i'll be doing tomorrow morning and prolly most of this week.
any particular wood good for giving this a go?

Dec 29, 2010
Scotland
Wow this is fantastic!..
I whittled a mother earth type goddess statue a few years ago and loved working with the wood and watching her take shape.
it was from a piece of silver birch I picked up on a walk, which just kind of "spoke" to me.
I want to get started on one of the ones you've shown right now :p
I just used a sharp knife for the statue I made, but these little tools look great and much safer to be using with the kids hanging around watching.
will have a look on ebay for some.
thanks for posting this :)

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Thanks guys, I look forward to seeing some of your carvings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE