Carved Spoon finishes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

velvetmonkey

Feb 2, 2012
Co Down
To all you spoon and kuksa carvers out there, can you advise what you use to finish your pieces?

I've started some spoon carving and not quite sure what finish to put on them.

I want to use some of the spoons to cook and eat with out in the field, so toxic coatings are a no no.

You thoughts as ever are greatly appreciated.................

paul atkin

Forager
Dec 15, 2010
york
paulatkin.co.uk
Long answer

RONSEAL TEAK OIL
Harmful. Contains:
WHITE SPIRIT,
NAPHTHA (PETROLEUM),
HYDROTREATED HEAVY.
Flammable. Harmful to
aquatic organisms, may
cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic
environment. Repeated exposure may cause
skin dryness or cracking. Harmful: may cause
lung damage if swallowed. Keep out of the
reach of children. Keep away from food, drink
and animal feeding stuffs. Avoid contact with
skin and eyes. In case of contact with eyes,
rinse immediately with plenty of water and
seek medical advice. After contact with skin,
wash immediately with plenty of water.
Wear suitable gloves. If swallowed, seek
medical advice immediately and show this
container or label. Use only in well-ventilated
areas. Dispose of this material and its
container to a hazardous or special waste
collection point. Application cloths and
soiled cleaning rags may self-ignite without
warning. Dispose of safely to avoid fi re risks

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
Straight up cooking oils. Sunflower and vegetable in particular. Cheap, no particular odour or taste, totally safe, always to hand (important when regular re-oiling will prolong the life of the woodware being regularly scrubbed in the washing up). A possible negative is the particular yellow colour: I personally don't think it goes perfectly on blond woods like sycamore, but I still use it for these, and it is possible to get cooking oils of a lighter hue. When I was carving spoons for sale, an added benefit was that buyers responded well to the idea of maintaining their spoons with cooking oil - it's something they all have and can understand.

If you want to used linseed, do not used commercial 'boiled linseed' - it's not just boiled, it has heavy metal drying agents added. 'Raw' linseed should be fine, but check your sources. Advise against olive oil. The story goes that it can fail to harden in the wood and can go rancid. Something to do with it having a relatively high melting temperature (you may have seen it set in it's bottle in a cold kitchen). I've never experienced this because I've never used olive, but I did meet a lady at a craft show who'd had it happen to a cutting board. I don't know how accurate that all is, but I myself wouldn't choose olive anyway, on account of the colour/flavour/smell. Walnut oil (again a cooking oil) is said to go off (harden) well and relatively quickly - if you like or can live with the flavour (not nice in cereal bowls!). I've used sesame oil to deliberately impart scent and flavour to some spoons as part of an oriental-food-themed gift; that was fun.

Last edited:

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
RONSEAL TEAK OIL
Harmful. Contains...

Yes. The thing to understand is that, speaking very broadly, commercial wood-oils consist of plant oils (linseed, tung) etc obtained by squeezing the plant's seeds - perfectly natural and largely not harmful. However, to get those oils to soak in and go off (dry and set hard inside the wood) faster, they are mixed with any number of solvents and drying agents which are pretty harmful things, not for human consumption (and definitely not for consumption by streams and rivers). Such products may also contain woodstains, anti microbials etc.

The cooking oils you find in the supermarket are all plant oils, basically the same as in commercial wood-oil products. We don't tend to cook with tung or linseed oil (although we do eat linseed), but sunflower seeds, rape seeds ('veg oil'), walnuts etc etc all produce excellent oils, which could just as easily be manufactured into commercial wood-oil products. But of course these 'cooking' oils haven't got the solvents, drying agents etc. Thus they are food safe, but won't soak into your wood so well, dry so quickly, etc.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
As below walnut and tung oils are both good for eating items.

I have recently moved over to household cooking oils just to try something a bit different.
Just in my limited experience vegetable oils tend to give light woods a nice dark/golden finish whereas olive oil leaves them very light am natural looking with a very pale hint of yellow.

All the best, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
As below walnut and tung oils are both good for eating items.

I have recently moved over to household cooking oils just to try something a bit different.
Just in my limited experience vegetable oils tend to give light woods a nice dark/golden finish whereas olive oil leaves them very light am natural looking with a very pale hint of yellow.

All the best, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both vegetable (cooking) oils (EDIT although I see sunflower is considered to be a drying oil, didn't know that) and olive oils will go rancid and sticky as they don't cure or dry - check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drying_oil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vegetable_oils#Drying_oils

velvetmonkey

Feb 2, 2012
Co Down
Thanks to all your advise.

I think I'll get a bottle of Walnut Oil from my local supermarket, go home and sand off the layer of Teak oil applied last night!!

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
Both vegetable (cooking) oils (EDIT although I see sunflower is considered to be a drying oil, didn't know that) and olive oils will go rancid and sticky as they don't cure or dry - check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drying_oil
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vegetable_oils#Drying_oils

As I pointed out earlier wrt olive, I'll gladly accept that certain oils could "go rancid and sticky", but I don't think you're quite correct to say that they "will". I'm not actually convinced that a drying oil is necessary for this application anyway, especially for wooden eating wares getting regular use, where oiling is a regular feature of life anyway, not a one-hit wood finish. I just don't think people should be put off, because in practice it doesn't happen that way.

I also think it's worth readers getting the message that it's perhaps not helpful to view (plant) oils as 'wood oils' and 'cooking oils' - they are just plant oils, some of which we tend cook with, some of which we tend finish wood with, and several of which are excellent at both - as anyone who has ever bought their Walnut oil at Tesco knows.

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
What I mean is, just because something isn't listed in your wikipedia reference (font of all knowledge that it is), it doesn't mean it's going to go rancid the moment it ends up in a spoon. Over many years of doing this personally and professionally, it's never happened to me. I'd rate experience over wikipedia any day - but each to their own I guess.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
What I mean is, just because something isn't listed in your wikipedia reference (font of all knowledge that it is), it doesn't mean it's going to go rancid the moment it ends up in a spoon. Over many years of doing this personally and professionally, it's never happened to me. I'd rate experience over wikipedia any day - but each to their own I guess.

I just used Wikipedia to show the difference between drying oils and the alternatives and the reasons for choosing different oils. Not sure what I did to get your back up given you also advised walnut oil.

You can oil your spoons in whatever you like. If you are using sunflower oil, you'll notice my post and wiki says it is a drying oil, so shouldn't go rancid.

Last edited:

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I have used olive oil without a problem but money light coats as such, as I use my spoons for eating and cooking they are probably more treated with coffee than anything else lol.
It's probably also to do with the wood used at the time may be a factor?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE