Carrying a kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Recently we have had a number of "experienced hikers" stranded in the wilderness for days on end (10+). No kit or not enough in all reality.
They have been very closed mouth of their experiences.
Is it "shame"

How many even for a few hrs jaunt carry a kit?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Do you mean a FAK or kit in general?
I'll usually carry 'round kit appropriate to the task/trip in hand. Even if it's just stuffing my pockets or wearing a possibles pouch for a daunder 'round the woods.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Sorry in the lack of information, a small kit in general, it would include a small FAK, plus other items that are legal to carry.
Here in Kanata I carry a kit bag, (E poncho, E blanket, lighter, button compass, SS cup etc...) even on day walks. The whole is less than a pound, other than the water.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
No matter where i go i have at the very least a SAK in my pocket even if i am just going into the city centre, the further i go and the longer i plan to be away from amenities the more i carry that i might need until my rucksack weighs 15-20 kilo

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
No matter where i go i have at the very least a SAK in my pocket even if i am just going into the city centre, the further i go and the longer i plan to be away from amenities the more i carry that i might need until my rucksack weighs 15-20 kilo

I do tend to feel naked on those occasions where I do not carry a SAK (and there are times when it is not wise) but then those places are not exactly wilderness, nonetheless even when I do go into "the smoke" I am prepared to spend a night out on the streets if I have to.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
My sak is a completely legal edc tool, non locking blade 2.5inch long, if i was stopped and searched by police and asked if i was carrying any weapons my answer would be No officer, i never leave the house without it, i am really annoyed that when i fly next month it will have to go in my checked in luggage!! What bloody use is that to me if the plane crashes? :lmao:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
On the bright side, you are permitted to take a parachute as cabin baggage if it will fit in the little box. :)

I always wear a belt kit, it normally consists of two pouches.
One contains my multi-tool which at the moment is a Leatherman Charge TTi but could equally well be a Victorinox SwissTool.
The other contains a lighter, a small torch wrapped in microfibre, a pair of tweezers, a Victorinox Signature, a sawn-off Bic Biro and the ceramic bit from a 20A fuse.

On longer rambles, a third pouch contains a bigger torch and I also carry a head torch. I do like to be able to see at night. :)

Yes the Victorinox Signature has its own tweezers but I like tweezers. :)

There are usually a few odd bits stuffed in my pockets like bits of cord, a magnifying glass, rubber bands and the odd freezer bag.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Speaking as a hiker/trail runner, it depends.

It depends on the weather, the season, where i'm going and if i'm going alone or with someone.

Living in a very active earthquake zone it's rare i don't have a whistle within reach, so that's a given.
Other than that on most of my summer day hikes/runs i don't carry anything except water and my phone.
As there is no phone signal in many areas i use the phone more for data logging than for emergencies.

If i'm on a day hike in a remote area in winter and bad weather is expected then i'll throw a emergency bivvy bag into my pack.
My logic tends to be to carry just enough that i'll be able to just about survive a night out.

So i tend to prefer fast and light rather than carrying kg's of kit "just in case" but then at least one person will have my route and expected return time, so if the worst happens it'll be, i'm dead or it's going to be a uncomfortable night out.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
It depends.

It is very rare for me to leave the house without my handbag (a 30L backpack). Meaning that I usually have most of the essentials. In the colder months I add to it my [thread=127327]Stayling Alive Cold Kit[/thread]. I've had to use it once, when I was dressed for the bike ride to the station, not the 30minute wait at -3°C. Poor moisture management, meant that I got very cold very quickly.

I also carry an EDC fire kit Which lives in my pocket, this has the bonus of providing me with a compass as well as all weather fire construction. In the summer months my Sawyer Mini filter lives in my handbag, along with a pack of Oasis Chlorine Diox tablets. In winter the Sawyer comes out and the Ch Diox tabs stay in the pack.

When I'm heading out for a hike as well as my EDC first aid kit (just a large dressing, plasters and pills) in my hip belt, I will tend to add a survival bag (SOL Escape Bivvi). This gives me something to hide in if I get injured or have to await rescue/weather etc...

I'm considering getting myself a satellite PLB as well. More on that in another thread in coming weeks.

The main thing I don't currently carry in my handbag as EDC, and would perhaps be sensible, is something to boil water in. A titanium mug or similar. This would then mean I really was carrying the 5 basics. I kinda wish someone made a 500ml version (i.e. short and squat), of the Vargo Bot titanium, then I've have no real excuse not to...

J

bearbait

The main thing I don't currently carry in my handbag as EDC, and would perhaps be sensible, is something to boil water in. A titanium mug or similar. This would then mean I really was carrying the 5 basics. I kinda wish someone made a 500ml version (i.e. short and squat), of the Vargo Bot titanium, then I've have no real excuse not to...

J

I have a Snow Peak Ti Mini Solo (with attached bike brake cable bail) that lives in the water bottle pouch of my pack. A regular 1L Nalgene water bottle fits it nicely so it takes up negligible space. Gives you a cup and a pot. The cookset lid lives elsewhere in my pack.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I have a Snow Peak Ti Mini Solo (with attached bike brake cable bail) that lives in the water bottle pouch of my pack. A regular 1L Nalgene water bottle fits it nicely so it takes up negligible space. Gives you a cup and a pot. The cookset lid lives elsewhere in my pack.

There is a rationale behind why I said the Bot style container rather than a mug.

1) the water bottle in my bag is a platypus soft bottle so having something that nests with it doesn't help

2) The screw on lid means it has a bit more strength when it's just knocking around in your pack.

3) Doubles as water container

4) 3 allows you to treat water in it with a puritab.

5) can also be used as a container to store stuff in my pack

Just some of the thought process...

J

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
hillwalking I carry all the basics in a side pouch this includes the old style to some survival tin
Day in the woods waterproof water bottle, Mug, lighter SAK, first Aid kit, whistle compass and bits in a US Butt Pack or a stuff sac in my daysac
On me always SAK in coat pocket, and bits - first Aid, Compass, Whistle, lighter in a small tin

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
I carry a canvas satchel, with items as follows:
first aid kit, extra meds, shades
sports blanket (can be used as a tarp), a hank of cordage
lightweight poncho
ferro rod, matches, tinder (fuzzed jute rope)
whistle and a small light, compass with a mirror
spork, a can of sardines, chocolate bar, raisins, a few hard candies
water filter straw, SS cup (sierra type), small SS canteen
a skeleton E knife kit, handle wrapped with artificial sinew
This is for a short walk.
For a day walk or in new (to me) area, more tin rations, hatchet and all carried in a small canvass bergen

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I carry a small kit tailored for the trip - even if I am just going 1/4 mile up to my local woods...
1st Aid, emergency poncho, space blanket, fire lighting, Leatherman, some sweeties, usually some water, binos, bird book, cordage, tissues, pen, notebook, mini compass, brew kit, spare glasses - no point in taking a phone as there is no signal for most of the walk ... but it is often in my pocket anyway...
My SAK lives in my pocket 24 7 365 as does a Wool Buff.
Sometimes a "stroll" turns into a protracted "whittlin', birding, relaxin' afternoon and a lot of the kit gets into play....
If I am going further I carry more - all depending on how far/how long I am going.

Wildpacker

Feb 25, 2005
UK
On the bright side, you are permitted to take a parachute as cabin baggage if it will fit in the little box. :)

Has anyone done that?
I was seriously considering trying it out recently, just to see what happened when it went through the security scanner. I would expect questions to be asked since it is strange cabin baggage unless you intend to make an exit mid flight. I was forbidden to try it by my wife though as she wasn't willing to miss the flight and nor could she see the humour in the situation.
I also wanted to try out leaving the country without valid ID. Unless they've changed the law recently it isn't actually a legal requirement, just makes it tricky to get back in.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Ferro rod/ flint, steel, char and SAK go almost everywhere with me - if I am taking one of my kids, then a medkit and Pathfinder bottle/lid/cup set go too, and usually a bit of jute string, wrapped up in a scarf around my waist. sometimes a little aluminium pie-tin for a fire. Bigger walks mean a poncho and a bigger knife as well. Pignuts, strawberries, billberries all getting plentiful now, so no need for snacks. Nav is kind of obvious. On planes I take a bone knife - decked out as a 'tribal ornament', and a flint and steel, so all good in the extremely unlikely event that I actually survive the crash...

spud_23

Forager
May 27, 2010
Leicester
Has anyone done that?
I was seriously considering trying it out recently, just to see what happened when it went through the security scanner. I would expect questions to be asked since it is strange cabin baggage unless you intend to make an exit mid flight. I was forbidden to try it by my wife though as she wasn't willing to miss the flight and nor could she see the humour in the situation.
I also wanted to try out leaving the country without valid ID. Unless they've changed the law recently it isn't actually a legal requirement, just makes it tricky to get back in.

As someone who works in aviation, I would suggest that attempting that would be a real bad idea, highly unlikely t
Would work and at best would invite questions from the sneaky beakys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Has anyone done that?

They might think you were the son of D. B. Cooper! LINK. :lmao:

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
I'm one of those people who, whenever I go out carry at least a knife, firesteel and small FAK even if it's just a couple of hours. Coming to think of it those are always along regardless of where I am. So with the exception of this forum I'm usually considered weird ;)

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
Looking at the other replies in this thread, the knife is left at home when going by plane (unfortunately since if T****, this is where I would really need one)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE