Carboot bargain? or Wasted Money? (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nunzionuk

Well I went down to our local carboot in norfolk today and picked up a Coleman Model 639 Lantern 1970s (I think) for £18.

Now it was a mess and I have tidied it up as best I can, but I need a new Mantle before I can test it out.

Here are some photos I have quickly taken with my phone, so sorry if they are blurry.

Reads: Model 639 Globe 660 Mantle 1111 Generator k6

Any sugestings on how to best remove the rust spots and help on how to correctly light it would be great :)

Last edited:

nunzionuk

Had a look at the base-camp site, they are out of the mantles, but i managed to find some on ebay, so ordered them.

Now all i need to do is fiddle with it to get it working, am guessing the small dish thingie is the pre-heater. Just dont understand the controls on the side to get the Kerosene flowing.

That and I think it might be needing a new pump.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i would seriously replace all the washers and pump leathers etc, google spiritburner website and have a read, its mainly stoves but the principle is the same and there are lamp collectors on there. also see if you can get some instructions or directions from the web on how to prime it and use it etc as you dont want burning paraffin in your face

I had a kerosene blowtorch let go on me beacuse i didnt replace the washers as they looked 'ok' it sprayed burning kerosene all over the grass and picnic table, good job i was outside.

but hen you get it working, it will be great! also rinse the tank with clean paraffin, then rinse it with clean meths and leave it to dry

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE