Carbolic soap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I use it a lot in cleaning but at the moment I am right out.

Was looking on Ebay and to buy a lot is a few quid more than buying a little.

Anyone interested as a group buy?

I was thinking the 125g bars.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I must be missing something here but for all the world the impression I'm getting of 21st Century bushcraft is if ain't hair-shirt it ain't no good!

K

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I was actually thinking of getting some of this for up the Naughty Corner for washing people's mouth out if they mentioned the four letter 'R**N' word. :)

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Do they sell it in regular stores? I thought it was terribly old fashioned.

No, I use Pears for regular washing. (Now you are going to tell me that is old fashioned...)

The carbolic is used for stains on clothes and the like.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
89p a boxed bar for Pears. That was a month ago, and the carbolic was 49p….I think the Wright's (now fake ?) coal tar was 59p.

Ordinary soap's not that expensive.

The kind I like is though :sigh: but I do get through to Scottish Fine Soaps factory shop on occasion and load up :D

M

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
The coal tar soap available now is indeed fake due to EU restrictions on cosmetics, unless under prescription. The 'fake' stuff has actually got tea tree oil in it to provide the anti-bac instead of coal tar.

My next door neighbour (General Store) sells the rough 1lb/2lb block Carbolic soap and claims the common Falcon 125g bars aren't really legit. He can get the Falcon cheap too, 40-50p/125g bar.

I could bring some of the 'proper' stuff to the Moot if people want it. I'm guessing an impressive 2lb (900g) block would be £3.50-£4, same price that you'd normally pay for the 1lb block.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE