Canvas Tool Roll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Hi,

So I am delving into the world of textiles and since I've got a bunch of leathercraft tools lying about all over the place I figured I should start to make some tool rolls for them.

Here is my first. Please excuse the wonky stitching, I need way more practice. Also, I have learned having the machine up against the wall is nice and tidy UNTIL your project hits the wall and the sewing machine can't feed it straight anymore. I also realise I need more of a flap to cover the very last item in the roll. Also, the final thing is I really need to learn that it's not a race, I was trying to finish this in an evening after a few of the other chores were completed...

When hemming the fabric, the corners had 6 layers of canvas(!) so I cut a diagonal out to try and help lessen the thickness (whcih I read is notching). This seemed to help but also exposed raw edges - I presume I may have cut too much.

Cheers,
Matt

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Damn nice that! what ya got, a A Singer? I been looking at getting one, but im kinda hamfisted, well, i think......not too sure on my abilities, but I suppose i will always have a sewing machine to trade if it dont work out...lol

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Cheers All :)

I'l got quite a few of these to make since I've got so many tools lying around the house without any homes. I figure by time I've made a dozen or so of these I should at least have a bit more of a knack of things.

My dad used to sell singers, the 66 and 99 are legendary for performance and longevity

I think it's great, it was even better since mine was a gift :). It needs a bit of a clean, I've had a tinker with it since it was skipping stitches a lot but after I cleaned out the bobbin area it seems to be doing a lot better. I've also had the odd tinker with a few other parts and I am so impressed that practically every part has it's own number stamped on it.

I've got the hang of the treadle now also so a quick flick of the wrist and off I pedal - simple :)

I haven't yet managed to get the balancing act of this and DIY yet though... Anybody know the secret?

Cheers,
Matt

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Great work there!

I've been wanting to make something just like this for a few weeks now, for exactly the same job too! Got leather tools falling about all over the bench these days, they need tidying and a proper home. I'll be learning from your experience here, particularly with regards to sewing the corners!

I once made 20 novelty hats on a foot treadle singer. It was a joy to use!

James

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Ah great, I'd love to see how you get on when you get along to it.

Yeah, I recently had something I wanted to make and ended up buying rivet setters, press stud setters, eyelet setters, dyes, daubers and a few other bits and bobs until I was at the max postage charge; so it only made sense to buy even more things that I knew I'd have ended up buying eventually and before I knew it I had absolutely no where to put any of these new tools!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE