Canvas pouches

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I got a couple of square meters of this super weight canvas from a local supplier. Its so tough I needed to use an awl to get the full thickness sinew (from Erics group buy)through. Its like sewing leather.

The small one is a needle case, the medium is a sewing kit and the large (7"x5"x3") is for my fire starting kit, I made this to fit the side pocket of my Duluth Rambler.

S8002091.jpg

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Very smart. Looks a good alternative to leather.:)

Thank you. I wanted something to give a rustic old time look and feel. I think this just ticks the boxes.

I've been after some of that - they look great, can you provide details of where you got it please?

I could, but he only had 10 meters of it and really didn't want to part with the two he sold me as he could not get any more. It's 1960's Royal Navy stock and very heavy. I have never seen canvas like this. I would rather hand sew 4mm saddle leather than this.

Very nice set.

I like the sewing ulu too. Did you design the leather lace up edge sheath for that?

I like that idea too.

I did, it came to me in a moment of madness. Very simple and works really well.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Well that sewing ulu sheath is a super idea. I made a much more complex one as I could not see the easy way of securing it.

I might just steal that idea.

Who made the ulu?

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Well that sewing ulu sheath is a super idea. I made a much more complex one as I could not see the easy way of securing it.

I might just steal that idea.

Who made the ulu?

Glad you llike it, feel free to copy it, but please post a picture of your work.

The ulu was made by O'Neil on BB, he's from Arizona, we swapped for a saddle leather case I made for his iphone. It really is great, its a little razor.:)

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
The ulu looks nicely done. O'Neil did that one up well. I was almost guessing that it could be a Maynard Linder, but the round handle does not quite fit his normal style.

Did you use the ulu on the canvas?

This is my complex solution to the sewing ulu case.

linderivoryulusheath098db3.jpg

ivoryuludone1033rv3.jpg

I have another slightly larger sewing ulu that I think I may use your design for.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
The ulu looks nicely done. O'Neil did that one up well. I was almost guessing that it could be a Maynard Linder, but the round handle does not quite fit his normal style.

Did you use the ulu on the canvas?

This is my complex solution to the sewing ulu case.

linderivoryulusheath098db3.jpg

ivoryuludone1033rv3.jpg

I have another slightly larger sewing ulu that I think I may use your design for.

Thats really good, I like it.

I didn't use the ulu to cut the canvas for these pouches, but I have just tried it and it cuts quite well considering the canvas is 2mm thick!

A couple of close ups of the sheath.

S8002096.jpg

S8002095.jpg

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Thanks for those closeups of the sheath. Simple and effective. I am definately stealing that idea.

For my large sewing ulu I had a friend make me a fancy sheath with a front pocket to hold needles and sinew.

ulusheath13wb.jpg

ulusheath22vm.jpg

I have found my ulus to be very nice leather and cloth working tools.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I do like the ulu case, especially with the storage space. But, I have this thing about the Beaver / Otter pouch, it really is very nice.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE