Canoeists airlifted to hospital after Loch Lochy capsize

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Two canoeists have been airlifted to hospital suffering from hypothermia after capsizing in a Highland loch.

Clyde Coastguard received an emergency call at about 19:00 about two men who could not get back into their canoe in Lochy Lochy near Spean Bridge.
A local boat came to their aid and they were then flown to Fort William by a Royal Navy rescue helicopter.
A coastguard spokesman said the men, in their 40s, had been in the freezing water "for a considerable time".
He added: "The helicopter struggled to get up as there were snow showers as it headed north.
"When the team arrived at the scene the lifeboat team was overseeing things and the men had been removed from the water by a local boat where people were trying to keep them warm."
He said the men were responding well.
They were part of a group of four people on the loch in two canoes, and the coastguard said they have been camping near the loch as part of a bigger group.
BBC Scotland

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I wonder if they are from the forums? I think about this situation a lot when paddling ,I think the reality of getting back into the canoe are slim and hanging on to the canoe does not seem a great option ,I am fairly good swimmer but with all the clothes and boots and water temp i dont think i would get far.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hope they're okay, recover fine and aren't put off from going back. Maybe in better weather right enough, but you know what I mean.

Just how long does it take to get a helicopter from the Clyde to Loch Lochy anyway ?

M

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I wonder if they are from the forums? I think about this situation a lot when paddling ,I think the reality of getting back into the canoe are slim and hanging on to the canoe does not seem a great option ,I am fairly good swimmer but with all the clothes and boots and water temp i dont think i would get far.

You should practice Gill - everyone should practice.

I came out the Pack mid-loch(Goil) on my very first canoe trip, tried to get back in a few times, knackered myself failing then had to swim to shore. Have since made maybe a couple of dozen practice attempts and failed every time. Could slip into the SP3 no bother but the Pack always either flips or sinks under me.
Have had another three moments where I've nearly been out of it. Loch Long and Ullswater would have been alright(just a swim), but one day on Lomond a wake came from behind and took me by surprise and had I gone over I'd never had made it. The boat that caused the wake was offski and I had the loch to myself, was right out in the middle of it in winter and had been blasé because it was an otherwise flat calm day.
That's a good chunk of the reason you'll rarely see the Pack without the double blade stowed away. I can kneel lower and more central while using it and brace quickly on either side. Sometimes crack it out just for dodgier crossings to counter the niggling fact that I can't get back into my boat.

On occassion at meets the notion of us all getting together for a rescue practice day crops up and I really think it'd be a good idea. I know some(Col, Jas and Steven) have been practicing(the joy of drysuits) but I've not been wet in over a year and could do with a session.
It gets you rethinking everything from whether you should be attempting crossings to how you secure your gear - and perhaps as important as the recovery practice is that you're spending the time learning how to try to stop yourself going over in the first place. You can't learn to brace without taking it the all the way to(and past) the limit and you can't find the limit without going for a swim.
Even when you've practiced 'till you're confident you have to bear in mind that the conditions you're practicing in won't be as bad as those that are likely to have you out the boat for real.

Willie and Bikemec do the odd recovery day for SotP members and the one I attended was one of the most informative days I've spent on(or in) the water, couldn't recommend it enough. Castle Semple's just up the road, keep an eye on the meet thread.

Hope those from the Lochy incident are recovering.

Last edited:

Gailainne

Life Member
I agree with you Josh, (also about the drysuit :) ), I think it really hit home for me when I started down the sailing canoe path, you can get a long way from shore very quickly, on a trip to the Kyles of Bute we were tacking across the whole width of the sound to make headway back home. Also theres safety in numbers, if one boat gets in trouble the other(s) are there to assist.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE