Canoeing and Kayaking laws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bearman

Jul 18, 2010
kent
I'm not sure exactly but I know in Kent you have to get some sort of 'craft permit' for your canoe or Kayaks on the rivers, I think you can get them online from the Environmental Agency website. I dont think they are too expensive. Bit vague I know, hopefully someone else will give you a better answer.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Maybe 'Song of the paddle' would be a more knowledgable forum to ask this question.

Would be interessting to know the outcome....

Mojo

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
Would recommend checking out the Canoe-England website for information on access, including the legal position. Joining the British Canoe Union (BCU) will grant access to quite a few rivers and canals, and for about £33 a year is a bargain if you canoe regularly (no affiliation etc).

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Sadly not nearly as simple as going to the Post Office and buying a license.

Our rivers, lakes, canal and harbours are owned and run by a variety of companies and landowners. As has been suggested, if you wish to paddle a canoe or kayak then joining the BCU will get you a waterways license which will allow you on British Waterways, Environment Agency and a few others waters. You also get a third party insurance policy up to ten million pounds, insurance is a requirement for many other waters like reservoirs etc.

If you wish to use inflatable or other types of dinghies then the license for unpowered portable boats from British Waterways is about £40. I'm sure the EA have a similar license, but I've not looked into that.

A quick google gives this URL for Staunton Harold Reservoir:
http://www.derbyshireuk.net/staunton_harold_reservoir.html

It is unfortunate that many stretches of water are run by private organisations and companies and not covered by the BCU agreements. I tend to pay any fees to help cover costs of what ever groups owns the water to maintain any facilities I use. My choice of course, but there you go.

Al

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE