Canoe Project 2!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
That is an amazing piece of work. Really inspirational. I hope we see a hundred 'my 1st canoe' threads spring up over the next few months!

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
16Kg is practically a featherweight as far as canadian canoes go. that is an exquisite looking craft and a magnificent achievement.:cool: i'm astounded. :You_Rock_

cheers, and.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
:Wow: :Wow:
That is a truly inspirational piece of work :You_Rock_

We need the pictures of it on the water now as has been said.:red:

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
i wasnt even going to go out on the water today because of all the rain! Non stop showers!

In the evening though i couldnt wait any longer. So i went and put it on the lake!! Its great!!

I had a little padle around the lake but there was a lot of weed growing right to the surface of the water which made it harder to paddle. I found that the canoe is a little more tippy than im used to because my old canoe had an outrigger. Its going to take a little bit of getting used to but its great fun! I was battling against the wind toowhich didnt help:rolleyes:

The canoe sits so high on the water! and it feels as light as a frather! Just what i wanted! I tried it without the seat to start and then fitted the seat and tried that too.

Im so pleased with how its turned out! I couldnt have wished for a better canoe!

I couldnt get any photos because i was on my own.

I'll move onto a better lake on Thursday when the land lord leaves to go on holiday. I'll be able to have a better paddle then and get some good photos! Cant wait!

Jon:D

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Well done Jon. I did wonder about the weather, raining here all afternoon and strong wind. you may find that by leaning the canoe to the side you're paddling you will actually be more stable, don't overdo it though otherwise :Thinkingo you'll look at the bottom of your canoe:D

Looking forward to the pics, mate.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
no im not going to add any weight. it should be faser this way.

Its still raining today!:yikes:

Not necessarily. The less weight it has, the less momentum it has, so it will lose speed through the water more quickly. Also, if you don't get the trim right and the bow sticks up too much, it'll really catch the wind. A wee bit of weight in the front can make a big difference to the handling, especially against a headwind.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Not necessarily. The less weight it has, the less momentum it has, so it will lose speed through the water more quickly. Also, if you don't get the trim right and the bow sticks up too much, it'll really catch the wind. A wee bit of weight in the front can make a big difference to the handling, especially against a headwind.

That's right. Depending where the wind blows from, some weight trimming can make the difference between an enjoyable paddle or hard slog. If the wind blows from the front, weigh the canoe at the front, if it blows from the stern, weigh the stern more so that the canoe weathercocks in your favour. If you go down currents, it's worth weighing the stern down a bit to raise the stem higher, gives you more buoyancy and so on.

pollitt

Jan 1, 2007
Dover, Kent, UK
That canoe is stunning! I can fully understand why you are proud - its a great peice of work. Its a pleasure to see someone making a canoe this way here in the UK and i only hope it inspires more people to do it.

You have my deepest respect

Stuart

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Ok people! heres the action shot!

canoe14.jpg

canoe15.jpg

Canoe and arsneic preserved paddle: :eek:

canoe16.jpg

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Handles like a beauty!

Its really stable actually! the other day i said it was tippy but its not at all! I've just been used to the out-rigger on my old canoe. Earlier on i stood up in this new canoe!!

She is harder to turn though. i supose thats to be expected though because i have a big keel unlike my other one which didnt have one atall.

It stays on track better than my other one. My old one used to go off to one side when you stopped paddling but this just goes as straight as a dart.

Im chuffed to bits! Didnt take that long to build really! just this summer holiday. About 6 weeks in total. if that!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE