Canoe Project 2!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
jon, nice to see a pic on the other thread, looks really good. Regarding a 'keel', have you really added a keel? and how much did it end up weighing?

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
oh, sorry! i didnt mean a keel. basically i mean that ive got stem pieces that five a good hull.

Im not up on the boating dictionary.:eek:

I think the over all canoe is about 16- 17 kg. I cant be sure though. Ill have to re-weigh her! Shes been eating a lot of burgers lately so she might have put on some weight.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
With having an arsenic preserved paddle how about naming your canoe Old Lace?
Oh, forgot to say - Very, very nice job you've done too.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
How about "feather" for a name??

Jojo! i thought that was a fantastic name so you might be pleased to see this!

Just finished painting it.

name.jpg

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Really nice job jon. Envious of the 17kg, our 17ft 4 family canoe is 38kg and a real pig to get up steep bank portages.

Well done, fantastic project. :You_Rock_

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Jojo! i thought that was a fantastic name so you might be pleased to see this!

Just finished painting it.

name.jpg

I had thought feather because your canoe is so light. Pleased you used the name. Very neatly painted as well. I have seen worse job done by profesionals. Did you paint it free hand?

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
i made my design on the compter using photoshop. I printed it off and traced it onto the side of the canoe. then i painted it in. Is that cheating? I say, do what ever method produces good results!

I did have to have a steady hand though! you have to give me some points for that.

logo copy.jpg

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Not cheating at all Jon. I use mostly the same technique on most of my carved signs. As you said, you still need a very steady hand to do a good job like that. And adding the feather is a real nice touch. Well done. The whole thing is a job to be proud of.

What I really like about your work is the attention to detail you put in it, such as even giving aname to your canoe and the care put into doing it. :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE