Canoe plans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hi folks, I am learning how to paddle a Canadian canoe at the moment, just passed my BCU (British Canoe Union) 2* :-D
Anyway iam looking at building a canoe to practise in. I had a play in a couple of homemade boats last week and was mightily impressed.
I was wondering if any of you had any experience of building them, know of anywhere that can supply plans or any advice on designs, and tips generally...
Cheers
Rich :cool:

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
I was going to say Selway Fisher.

I'm off on sunday paddling a homemade one from them (not made by me)
Did it last year and was great. We used a few different models. The "Prospector" seemed to be the best all rounder of the bunch.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
At the OS outdoors show at the NEC in April, there was a large stand in the canoe section that had plans for building wooden canadian canoes, and sold the single ended paddles for these, as well a lots of mainstream canoeing accessories. If anyone still has a show guide it may be possible to identify them. They had one of the largest stands in the area and were located no more than one or two stands from the corner of the "lecture theatre". Unfortunately I have no memory of their name.

Cheers

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Thanks for your advice guys
Those swedish canoes look gorgeous. :super:

I think i have narrowed it down to 2, The Prospector from selway fisher - seems to be quite popular and will take 2 people plus camping gear. Or this one :http://www.birchcreek.btinternet.co.uk/malamut.htm
The Malamut based on an Native American Malachite tribe design ?
Anyone come across one ?
I'm going for plywood rather than cedar strip to start with, looks a bit easier.
Cheers
Rich

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Do keep us up to date,

Id love to have my own canoe and if its not too difficult to build one.... might even have a go myself :shock:

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Roving Rich said:
I think i have narrowed it down to 2, The Prospector from selway fisher - seems to be quite popular and will take 2 people plus camping gear. Or this one :http://www.birchcreek.btinternet.co.uk/malamut.htm
The Malamut based on an Native American Malachite tribe design ?
Anyone come across one ?
I'm going for plywood rather than cedar strip to start with, looks a bit easier.
Cheers
Rich

Hi Rich

What kind of water are you mostly going to use the boat on?

Both of the boats you're looking at have got quite a lot of rocker (short waterline length for their overall length with a distinct curve up at bow and stern) which will make them maneuverable but a little more twitchy to paddle on big lakes or on the sea. (especially in stronger winds) The Prospector is a classic and makes a great river tripping boat - but it wouldn't be my first choice for open flat water - it's possible to paddle open water in one but if thats your main intention then there are better boats. If however most of my journeys were going to be on moving water where maneuverability and secondary stability are important then I'd use my Prospector. (mind you mines made of royalex not wood - so I'm not worried about getting it banged up!)

I've never come across the Malamut before but it looks like a very pretty boat - still the high bow and stern and the distinct rocker will make it pretty hard work on open water in any kind of wind.

Having said all that - as your paddling progresses and you get used to your own boat the differences will become less of a problem as you develop skills and techniques to deal with wind and waves - so choose whatever you feel best about!

George

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Hi George, I intend to be paddling mainly flat water. I am learning on the Thames and this is probably where it will see most use. I wanted a boat that could take my Girlfriend, myself and some camping gear, so we can have a few adventures. The Prospector seemed to be designed to take some payload, and looked about right to my novice eye. What would you recomend ? I have already recieved the plans for the Prospector so i'll be going ahead with this one.

Cheers
Rich

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Hi Rich

Like I said the Prospector's a great boat and I'm sure you'll have loads of fun in it. If you haven't already, try and get hold of "The path of the paddle" and "The song of the paddle", both by Bill Mason, who was one of the main exponents of the Prospector as a general purpose boat. If I could do half of what he could do in a Prospector then I'd be a good paddler.

However, if I was looking for a good all round canoe with mostly a flatwater bias I'd look for something with similar measurements to a Mad River Horizon 17 http://www.madrivercanoe.com/products/canoes.php?f=Horizon

It will track better (keep a straight line) than a Prospector and will have a faster theoretical hull speed as well, so it will be less tiring to cover long distances in. The differences are pretty much theoretical though untill you begin to refine your technique and can let the boat work as well as it can.

With your own boat you'll get out much more often and as long as you don't let yourself get lazy with learning some of the harder strokes, you'll improve really fast.

Build the Prospector and have a great time. :-D

George

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Thanks George, I'll look out for "the path of the paddle" , been wanting a copy for a while now.
I rate mad river canoes generally. I tend to paddle a Mad River Explorer club boat. They have 16' and about a 14' solo (which i gracefully fell out of when poling :roll: ) I'll see if there are any Horizons at the club to have a go.
I also quite like "Bobs Special", though think it might be hard work on a long haul. More of a playboat for white water and fast rivers i reckon.
Maybe we can go for a paddle when i have finished building it ?
Cheers
Rich

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Rich

The explorer 14 is a nice little boat - I'm a big fan of short solo boats, suprising how much kit you can get in to them and still paddle long distances.

Have a look at some of the boats that Nessmuk used to paddle, as short as 9 feet apparently!

I don't know the "Bobs Special" What is it?

Once you've finished the boat if you're ever looking for places to paddle up in the Highlands then I know a few good spots. Be good to meet up out on the water.

George

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Thanks for the link, Pretty little boat.

Looks like one for exploring blackwater rivers and backwaters. I'd be too scared of damaging a woodstrip boat to take it on anything else.

light too - around 40lbs

What size are you going to build the prospector?

George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE