Canoe Expedition Inverpolly Scotland in May - Loads of pics.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Canoe trip I did back in May.

Inverpolly a true wilderness area. Stunningly beautiful, stunningly wild and at times a wee bit challenging, verging on dangerous.

Looking across to Stac Polly across Loch Gainmheich. Tried hobo fishing as well as fly fishing. Wily wee broonies were having none of it.

Canoes and Pollaidh.jpg

Solo Birch, not many trees around. Mostly stunted birch, rowan and alder. Short growing season so wee trees. Probably over grazed by deer too.

Birch n Pollaidh.jpg

The Voyageurs at the end of day one and three portages as well as paddling the length of Loch Sionasgaig. Braw spot though. Looks tropical, but it was a bit chilly. Thts Cul Beag in the background.

Voyageurs.jpg

Me enjoying a brew

Windy.jpg

Starting to cook dinner. We had two Kelly Kettles which proved to be invaluable. Mostly cooked using heather roots as wood was pretty scarce.

Cooking.jpg

My hammock n tarp at sunset over loch Gainmheich. Nae midges. This place would be brutal later on in summer as it was so damp. My camp was on the lower slopes of Cul Mor.

Camp above Loch Gainmheich.jpg

Sunset over Loch Gainmheich

Sunset over Loch Scionasgaig.jpg

Next day we paddled back to the other end of Loch Sionnasgaig. Took a wee wander to the coast and had a forage for mussels etc. Camped that night on Eilean Mor. Boy it blew a hoolie that night. Weather changed quite dramatically. Next day we wind bound on the island. We made a dash for it at one point and were lucky to get in the lee of a wee island just before a white out.

Waiting out the snow storm.jpg

Me enjoying a portage...aye right !!!

Portage is fun….not.jpg

Portaging is fun....not.

Portage.jpg

Slow Worm, we let it go, it was too skinny.

Slow Worm.jpg

Aye it snows in May. I used a DD Travel hammock under the tarp. This proved a boon, not for the midges, to keep the sheep ticks out. One of the party had 14 removed at the end of a day.

Yip it snows in May here.jpg

Leon Durbin who runs Wildwood Bushcraft. One really cool and knowledgable dude.

Leon.jpg

Bivvy 2 after a long day. USed a 4 season Rab down bag, silk liner on top of thermarest. All zipped up inside my DD Travel. Replete with Balaclava. Slept like a log.

Camp on portage.jpg

Bivvy 3
Cold Bivvy.jpg

Last Bivvy on the shore of Loch Veyatie. W hunkered down in a survival bothy for 20 minutes after arriving as a storm lashed the loch. Thunder storm with whiteout as the icing (sic) on the cake. Once it calmed down I weighed down the tarp with shingle on the beach and streached across the two boats to make awee howff.

Last night on Veyatie bivi.jpg

Looking over to Suilven on the last morning. A braw wee paddle to the egress followed by, yes, another portage to the cars. On arrival turned round to admire the scenery but it had gone. More snow whipped round our lugs as we loaded up and headed to Ulapool for a muckle fry up.

End of trip with Suilven on Veyatie.jpg

Windy.

Would I do it again. Probably yes. Trimming down on the gear and changing the seats in my boat for light weight ones instead of the standard plastic buckets. Its an old Old Town Kineo built like a dreadnought.

Last edited:
That looks great!
How did you get such good weather? :)

I've often headed NW late April/May camping canoeing or trips into bothies. Usually been really lucky with settled weather. This year had quite a mixed bag. You always tend to take pics she the sun is shining though. We had some storms wheech through. The pic in the lee of the island was a scary moment as we just made it. Two minutes earlier we would have had to turn tail and head down the loch as we'd have been broadsided my three foot waves that came out of nowhere.

Windy

I need to do that route one October hol, avoid midges. Presume the ticks were picked up when camping on the bracken/grass ?

Got a route map ?

Aye the wee beggars, sheep/deer ticks lurked in the bracken. One dude in the party had 14 removed one night.

I can get a route map for you happy to try n put one together. Personally too much portage involved for the trip I did. The one frae Sionnasgaig to Veyatie is a little over a mile, but it's soft going over hilly moorland totally saps you.

Portage to Gainmheich (braw spot) could be lined if water level in the wee burn was high enough.

Pm me your snail address. I. An photocopy os map and highlight route/parking camp spots if you like.

Windy

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Aye the wee beggars, sheep/deer ticks lurked in the bracken. One dude in the party had 14 removed one night.

I can get a route map for you happy to try n put one together. Personally too much portage involved for the trip I did. The one frae Sionnasgaig to Veyatie is a little over a mile, but it's soft going over hilly moorland totally saps you.

Portage to Gainmheich (braw spot) could be lined if water level in the wee burn was high enough.

Pm me your snail address. I. An photocopy os map and highlight route/parking camp spots if you like.

Windy

Thanks for the offer, just checking that beach site, I have two on mind. PM me if you can mind the grid ref.

Ta

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE