Candle/torch making recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forgeways

Jun 25, 2010
Machynlleth, powys
Hi all,

For a christmas present a local and very talented blacksmith made me a garden torch/candle holder. In its simplest term its a 2m long 12mm thick bar with a cone on the top and you push the whole thing into the ground. The cone is about 75mm long and 30mm across the open end tapering down to the bar. (its all a lot more pretty than that simple description, check out nicwestermann.co.uk for the best spoon and carving knifes available).

My question is this, to create a winproof candle/flame that will last for a couple hours what do people recomend? Tight rag balls soaked in diesel work well for flame and light effect but burn out after 20 minutes at the most.

Regards, TT

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
When we're camping with the big parachute up, to mark the line free entrance I use two candle pots on spikes.
Basically I take some wee terracotta pots, (4", or 64's) block the hole with something (usually just use lump of clay) and pour in melted candle wax. Before it sets I put in a big dry pinecone that's had string wrapped around it and a bit left sticking up like a wick, that I've dipped into the melted wax in the pot a couple of times, beforehand.

The pinecone acts as an enormous, very stable wick, and the whole thing happily burns away for at least an hour. I think the longest lasting was about two and a half hours. It does burn wax at a good rate, but it's very windproof and gives a really good light.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
When we're camping with the big parachute up to mark the line free entrance I use two candle pots on spikes.
Basically I take some wee terracotta pots, (4", or 64's) block the hole with something (usually just use lump of clay) and pour in melted candle wax. Before it sets I put in a big dry pinecone that's had string wrapped around it and a bit left sticking up like a wick, that I've dipped into the melted wax in the pot a couple of times, beforehand.

The pinecone acts as an enormous, very stable wick and the whole thing happily burns away for at least an hour. I think the longest lasting was about two and a half hours. It does burn wax at a good rate but it's very windproof and gives a really good light.

cheers,
Toddy

That's brilliant, I was looking for an alternative to just 'candles in jam jars' at my wedding next year. Those will do very nicely, thanks.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eh, it's pretty straightforward. Wayland did a tutorial of the pinecone candle things though, bcause they're great firestarters too :D

Photos......might be some with the chutes up at the Moot. No sure tbh, I never thought to make anything of it; it's just a candle pot that gives a good light.

Don't put it anywhere that if it flares it'll cause any grief.
I used the split cane stakes a couple of years ago and the pots got so hot after a few hours that the cane burst into flames :rolleyes:
Kind of impressive really :D

cheers,
Toddy

Forgeways

Jun 25, 2010
Machynlleth, powys
Thanks for the advice Toddy. A pine cone as a wick will probably too wide so i will put my thinking cap on and try and replicate a thinner version of yours. Will post what ever i finally do with some pictures.

Regards, TT

Morrolan

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2010
Chorley, Lancashire
If you want any advice on wick widths (which controls flame size and burn time) or choice of wax, whether Paraffin, soya or recycled, give me a shout - I'm a candlemaker :)

I can recommend some good suppliers of wicks as well - even a recycled-wax candle can be drastically improved by using the appropriate wick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE