Candle recommendations

• Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I also make my own beeswax candles and found "WickWell NT Candle Wick" works well from these people:

I've yet to find a cheap household candle mould but have used this one for wine bottle candles or to use the candle the other way around.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I don't know anything about candle lanterns, but we like candles around the house for a bit of atmosphere. We've recently been using the stearin candles from Ikea. Good long burn time, very little smoke and no wax spill. Apparently they are theoretically edible, but I've not tried!

Dave.

Woody girl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I use IKEA candles around the home too. I find they are much cheaper than prices candles, and I do like the 40 hour ones too. Too big for a lantern such as is spoken of, but I used IKEA candles for a week in an off grid cabin in sweden for a week, and though I had to put new standard ones in each night, they lasted well for an evening. The 40 hour ones nearly lasted a week.
I think its tallow candles you can eat not stearin ones. !!!

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Ill have a look at those, thank you. Do you get much mess and waste with these? I seem to spend more time chipping the hard wax off than I do enjoying the light!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just got 4 1/4 hours of useable light out of mine. burned right down to the follower with no wax drips

MrEd

Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I also make my own beeswax candles and found "WickWell NT Candle Wick" works well from these people:

I've yet to find a cheap household candle mould but have used this one for wine bottle candles or to use the candle the other way around.

I cast a mould in a big yoghurt pot using 1:1 silicon casting stuff. It’s made a pretty decent mould, and has worked much better than I thought.
I used a candle to form the mould hollow

Reactions: slowworm

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
I have had a uco and also own a bushlite. I do find in all honesty, that you get more light from a bushlite (no pun intended). I put that down to the taller globe which inevitably pulls a longer flame.

I use prices candles and yes, there is some wax clean up required and the trim down factor of the candles though hardly a majoe chore and to be honest... the reason I got shot of the UCO was due to the disappointment with the functional light it throws out. Yes there maybe argument that it's the ambience it's designed for, though why not get the ambience of candlelight and a little more brightness with the bushlite :)

Steve

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.