Can you see the northern lights from Scotland ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I remember reading somewhere that if the conditions are right you can see the northern lights from Scotland is that right ?

Can anyone tell me what part of Scotland whould be best and what time of year?
Cheers
Twodogs

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
When i lived up there i saw a little and i was 2 miles south of john o groats, but to be honest it was only a very little..........if you google northern lights there is a hotel in scotland that says you can see them from there....i'd say the further north the better and you cant get much further north on the british mainland than i was......apart from dunnet head.......hope that helps.

I saw them once from Gothenburg about 10 years ago, not terribly impressive, just s bit like dim searchlights / curtains in the sky to the North. GTB is about on the same level as Aberdeen or Inverness, so it's def possible.

Best place would be as far North as poss, away from city lights, and not during mid summer (of course, although it was late on a dark August night when I saw them), so maybe Shetland?. Best time depends on solar sun spot activity and cycle. You can sign onto an email warning system which will drop you a line when there's a spike in solar activity....

http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/alerts

ah just seen the Bushcraft version, detector from a pop bottle...

http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/detectors/popbottle

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Dunstanburgh-Aurora.jpg

Northumberland 2005

ScotsSurvival

Oct 12, 2010
Scotland
I have seen it once near Arbroath about 5 years ago and in Carnoustie about 15 years ago. So it does happen but I would say its best to go as far north as possible.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Depends on solar activity, a tasty CME aimed right at Earth will produce Borealis in some quite unexpected places. I've seen the lights North from Knoydart a few times, usually on still cold nights with an anticyclone overhead.

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Used to see them very occasionally when I was young living on the Isle of lewis.

My father was a part time lighthouse keeper at the Butt of Lewis so we used to help out and the views were amazing some evenings.

A couple of links to the lights from Lewis

The fifth picture down in the table was taken from my village by one of the residents
http://www.spaceweather.com/aurora/gallery_01oct09.htm

And this BBC news article has a Lewis picture (and many others).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12717751

Cheers and good luck hunting.

George

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
A friend of a friend took some photographs of the aurora last month from Whitehaven, and my wife's grandad saw it quite a few times whilst working on the cranes at Workington docks.

Apparently, there will be more solar activity over the next few years, so more chance for all of us to see it.

Cheers, Michael.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Even in the overlit heartlands it's possible to see them occasionally :)

Best views are probably north and east; a bit less cloud and a bit colder there too.

cheers,
Toddy

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Even in the overlit heartlands it's possible to see them occasionally :)

Best views are probably north and east; a bit less cloud and a bit colder there too.

cheers,
Toddy[/QUOT

Yeah for sure';I am certain there are reports from NE England as well its all about the conditions But obviously no guarantees

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Seen them from Dublin but very faint. When I lived in Canada saw them most nights but never like the Coca Cola adverts - I'd love to see them that bright

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If the conditions are right you can see them quite far south ...
I have even seen them (very pale) in West Wales - OK it was only the once - but it is a lot further south than you would expect!
Actually I did not know what I was looking at until I read about them in the paper !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE