can you id these?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I saw these on a walk this afternoon. Any idea what they are? And are they edible? Not that I planning to actually eat them, but I'd just would like to know. Thanks.

DSCN0362.jpg

DSCN0363.jpg

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Not knowing much about fungi at all, i would say it could be inkcaps.

In Denmark they go by the name of a "preachers dangler" If i have translated it correctly.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I would go with shaggy ink cap. If you can confirm the ID that would make them edible but there is some sort of toxic reaction if consumed with alcohol and from memory its not just at the same meal but for some time afterward. I have eaten ink caps in the past but they were not my favourite and I won't be bothering in the future.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
they do look like shaggy ink caps, shaggy ink caps are a good edible species but use while the cap is still closed and attached to stem.

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
I would go with shaggy ink cap. If you can confirm the ID that would make them edible but there is some sort of toxic reaction if consumed with alcohol and from memory its not just at the same meal but for some time afterward. I have eaten ink caps in the past but they were not my favourite and I won't be bothering in the future.

WHAT??? No alcohol on the same day, that's just plain EVIL.:eek:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
it pretty much is shaggy inkcap, but the proof of the pudding is to take one home and see if it turns to a black ink over a few hours.
there is other species of inkcap, whoch look similar to shaggies, best be 100 percent sure before you eat them.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
There are quite few ink cap that look very simerlar, and IMHO all of them are tastless. I am pretty sure that is as everyone else has said Shaggy ink cap aka lawyer's wig aka coprinus comatus. Preachers dangles is great name though.

It is common ink cap that has the most reputation for making people ill with alcohol, but shaggy's have on occasion caused some poisoning. Both are perfectly fine without booze, except they have no taste, and dogs like peeing on.

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
I have no idea on the mushroom that cant be eaten with alcohol, but i do know that its not just at the time of eating, or that day. you must wait 3 days before consuming any alcohol as the reaction can be very serious. So be careful :)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
and see if it turns to a black ink
Can you actually use it as ink? I must get myself a good book on fungi. Any suggestions? I would be rather cagey about using a book to identify and actually eat them, but there are so many out there and they are rather fascinating.

Collins Field Guide
Roger Philips
River Cottage No.1

These are the books I usually use, but I have a few others which I consult. Looks like Shaggy Ink Cap. I'd disagree with most, I found mine to be full of flavour.
Common Ink Cap has an amino acid called Coprine which interferes with the body's ability to digest alcohol, so no booze for 2 days either side of consumption. Synthethised version is used, I think, in alcohol rehabilitiation.
Hope that helped.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE