Can you flush sphagnum moss down the toilet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Realistically reusable is a horrible idea. True enough people can get over their aversion to handling and washing them. However the real problem remains: no matter how clean you think you wash and disinfect them, they’ll still be more of a disease spreading vector than disposable. Even items where reuse is limited to a single person (such as contact lens) infections decline vastly when we switch to one time use.

Regarding homes with a single bathroom, I haven’t seen one built here since the 1970s unless it was a single bedroom home. Even in the most inexpensive homes. The exception would be as mentioned above: single bedroom homes, or alternatively a second home (I.e. vacation homes might do with only a single bathroom)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Realistically reusable is a horrible idea. True enough people can get over their aversion to handling and washing them. However the real problem remains: no matter how clean you think you wash and disinfect them, they’ll still be more of a disease spreading vector than disposable. Even items where reuse is limited to a single person (such as contact lens) infections decline vastly when we switch to one time use.

Yep, that's why you only eat with your right hand - no amount of washing will do :)

Reactions: santaman2000

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Don't. The plumbing is designed for papers with extremely poor "wet-strength."
Sphagmum is a tough as paper towels, they are not meant to disintegrate at all.
You may face a serious bill to have your sewer reamed out.
Just Don't.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, for once I hope hes not got hand gel good enough to be flammable.

A Dragon might send that lot up.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yeah. I've spent half my life in some sh$t holes all over the world. Dont I know it!! T'is just a turn of phrase. Hoover...vacuum cleaner, google... search. You know.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Having spent part of my childhood being brought up in 'Arab' countries and having trekked through many other arid environments around the world I wouldn't describe them as 'sh$t holes' at all - in fact I enjoy the culture and people and I certainly wouldn't generalize a people with a method of sanitation (or lack of) that is much wider spread. Sorry, a bit of a hobbyhorse of mine - culture generalisation. I do appreciate that one's view of a country or its people will depend entirely on why one is there though.

Reactions: Onelifeoverland

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I wonder if the little moss bears = tardigrades, will bite your a$$.

So far, I have not needed to start ripping up the curtains.
I can order TP on line from the local hardware store which gets deliveries once a week.
Minimum 4 x 12 roll packs. Won't go moldy, stored on the back seat of my SUV.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
As some have said, reusable wipes are great. I have 2 young children, at 1 and 2 years, we have been using bamboo and cotton wipes from the start. Just throw in home made clothing cleaning solution and vinager on a 60 c wash, and good as new (ish)

WolfRock83

Dec 27, 2019
Essex
As some have said, reusable wipes are great. I have 2 young children, at 1 and 2 years, we have been using bamboo and cotton wipes from the start. Just throw in home made clothing cleaning solution and vinager on a 60 c wash, and good as new (ish)

I will be looting a long time before I am putting used bottom wipe of any description in my washing machine..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
As a 36 year-old you may not be aware that neither disposable nappies nor washing machines have a!ways existed. Our boys, now in their fifties, had towelling nappies which had to be washed by hand in a bucket every day. If we'd had a washing machine we'd have used it.e

Ah the good old days!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE