can you advise on a good book?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
hi there,
i'm looking to get a good book on edible plants leaves etc. I have very little knowledge so a book with pictures for visual reference would be ideal. Also it would need to be relevat to scotland/britain.

There are so many to choose from!!

Thanks in advance!

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
In my experience there'll never be just one! (I have something in the region of 60 & counting). On the other hand, something you can slip into a pocket while you're out and about is useful. Collins Gem editions are quite good for portability & quick reference - there is a 'Food For Free' version and individual titles for fungi, trees, flowers etc.

What you'll find is that there are books that are good for id that don't tell you much about edibility, and books that cover edibles that aren't really designed to help you with id (they usually assume if you've got as far as eating something you should know for sure what you're looking at). Because of this I have yet to find a really definitive book and usually resort to cross referencing between the good id guides & the actual uses/recipe type works to suit my personal needs & interests.

I'm sure most folks will point you at Food For Free as a good starter but it's not the only book on the topic & I think it's likely that you'll quickly outstrip what it can teach you. Neil Fletcher's Easy Guide is quite good and possibly Wild Food For Free by Jonathan Hilton. I suggest starting out by trying your library to see what they have that you can look at before you commit to buying anything and ask if they can order in titles for you. Or have a quick flick through the appropriate section at Waterstones or Smith's. Don't forget to have a good trawl around charity shops/bootfairs/second hand booksales too, you never know what you might come across. You can check out Amazon for a rough idea of current titles and their availability & pricing as there has been a rash of new stuff coming out in the last year or so.

Books I've personally found useful and consider worth a look would include anything by Roger Phillips, Claire Loewenfeld , Pamela Michael, Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall & the River Cottage guides & any of the Reader's Digest plant guides but that's just my opinion.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
At the risk of being boring! Yes, Food for Free is the one to go for, but have a look at the Ray Mears book Wild Food.:)

gazmc2

Forager
Oct 5, 2008
Grantown-on-Spey
thanks a lot guy's, never a shortage of help on here is there!!

I have a couple of ray mears books already but dont have the wild food one (although i did watch the tv series). I'll def have a look around the charity shops as you say as i've found a few gems in the past. The collins one sounds good, for the potrability if nothing else as i would need to have it out & about with me for referece.

Thanks again for the fast responses!!

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Em not sure if im allowed say, mods delete if inappropriate, but there are a number of nice books for sale over on british blades at the moment in the members classifieds. Might find something there!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE