Can anyone teach me about oils?

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Newbie at this carving / spoon making lark but confessing to it being addictive!

I went to Homebase and was confronted by a bewildering array of wood preserving oils.:confused:
Teak oil
Linseed oil
Boiled Linseed oil
Colron Danish Oil
etc etc

Which would you recommend to produce a durable and water resistant finish suitable for items used for drinking/eating out of?
Thanks for any advice

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Raw Linseed is safe Boiled isn't as 'Boiled' isnt boiled as such, it used to be but its now mixed with drying agents and varnishes.

ProprietryTeak and colron oil might be the same as boiled linseed in that it contains toxic addatives.

Why not use olive oil? or walnut oil from tescos or similar? ;)

Andy

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Andy tks
Darn - I was told not to use olive oil :confused: no idea why not -
This is why I posted this thread up as there seems to be many people carving out there.

So I'll watch this thread hoping to read what the collective advice is:)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Andy tks
Darn - I was told not to use olive oil :confused: no idea why not -
This is why I posted this thread up as there seems to be many people carving out there.

So I'll watch this thread hoping to read what the collective advice is:)

I'd seen somewhere recently that olive oil goes rancid and so shouldn't be used on food utensils, so I'm watching this to see what the sage advice is going to be too.

Live and learn eh.

Ogri the trog

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Some oils polymerise and set hard, others stay liquid indefinately, for treating wood idealy we want one that cures or sets. The oils that stay liquid can go rancid, olive oil often does this quite quickly. Of the oils that set they vary in how long they take but most natural oils take quite a while...several months. This is good if you are doing an oil painting where you want to keep reworking it over a period of months but maybe not so good if you want to start using your new kuksa. For this reason most commercial oils have drying agents added to make them set faster..the drying agents are mostly poisonous. The frustrating thing is that because these are not food products the manufacturers do not have to declare the ingredients so you don't know what you are getting. They also tend to add white spirit to thin the oil (and because they like to sell white spirit for £5 a litre) Often even on the supposedly food safe finishes there are also notes on what to do if you drink it or get it in your eyes...thats no good for me.

Of the natural oils walnut and linseed are the two that set fastest, I have heard that sunflower sets eventually but I have never known it to and have had bowls treated with it go rancid. Olive never sets.

Personally I would recommend walnut, I don't use it commercially due to the risk to nut allergy sufferers. A good alternative is linseed if you can source a pure pressed linseed, I get mine 5l at a time from horse feed merchants. Walnut is available in every supermarket in 250ml bottles alongside the olive oil. Stand the glass bottle in hot water for 5 mins before treating the wood, this thins the wood and helps it penetrate the wood, put plent on, let it soak a few minutes then wipe off the excess.

The other commonly used oils are mineral oils, also known as paraffin oil or liquid paraffin (the liquid version of paraffin wax candles) sold in many woodworking shops and IKEA as a finishing oil or your local chemist as a laxative. :D This never sets so does not protect the wood or build a patina in the same way but it never goes rancid either. It doesn't seem right to me putting mineral oil on wood but it will do no harm.

Note the oils mentioned will take a few months to set properly and give a waterproof finish but that does not stop you using an item straight away, just keep it off you best linen tablecloth.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I got a can of tung oil from the local ironmongers, its ok for food prep items (according to the label) It sets hard after a few days/weeks. The 500ml tins lasted a long time so far.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE