Can anyone suggest a good spot not too far from Glasgow?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 27, 2012
Glasgow
Hi Everyone,

Myself and a few other newbie’s are planning a bushcrafting weekend and this forum has proven to be a great resource for advice thus far!

Before I start going on any meets or anything like that I thought it would be good to grab some friends who were "outdoorsy" and give it a bash and try to gain some basic competence!

I was wondering if anyone can suggest any good locations not a million miles from Glasgow.

We were thinking of going as far as Tay forest. We have some locations in mind but its hard to get a picture from google maps!

Can anyone suggest a good spot?

David

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....Before I start going on any meets or anything like that I thought it would be good to grab some friends who were "outdoorsy" and give it a bash and try to gain some basic competence!....

i'd do it the other way round if i were you, go to a meet with a bunch of people who have some idea what they're doing and get a bit of experience that way, then head out on your own when you feel a bit more confident. i don't know what the meets are like up in scotland but i assume they're pretty much the same as they are in the midlands, so i'm confident that no-one's gonna laugh at you for being a newbie (well not nastily anyway, they might laugh but they'll mean it in a friendly way :)).

not that i'm saying that you shouldn't head out on your own or with a couple of mates, you'd probably have a great time if you did, i can almost promise you a great time if you go to a meet though

cheers

stuart

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Why as far as Tay forest may I ask?

Lots and lots of places a lot closer to Glasgow if you look around, too many to list in fact!

Have fun anyways :)

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
hi David
As Stuart suggested do it the other way round go to a meet , we all had to start some where and
theirs a meet at Cromie Croft coming up in a couple of weeks
where you will be able to see and learn from the more experienced

bob

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I'm just outside Glasgow and know of a few good places locally that would give you the opportunity to practice some bushy stuff without having to go too far afield. It would give you a chance to get some practice before you head out into the big green stuff and would be happy to suggest or even show you a few places if you're interested.

I've never been along to any of the moots yet as circumstances haven't quite allowed so far but would be keen to get involved as soon as I can. In the meantime though I'd be interested in a few days out or overnighters in the Glasgow area for anyone who's game.

Feel free to pm me if you're interested and I can give you a bit more information.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Keep an eye on the Scotland south section mate, we usually have quite a lot of meets although haven't had much this year. We have been all over and you would be more than welcome to join us, feel free to pm etc if you fancy a trip anywhere.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE