Can anyone recommend a tracking course?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VonNoelio

Sep 25, 2008
Devon
Hi to everyone,

I've been a member for a while but haven't posted on many threads.

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with some pointers. I'm currently looking to attend a 2/3/4 day tracking course preferably in the south-west although would travel further for the right course. I have certain criteria, the course must be completed by the end of march 2010 and I'm also looking for something quite in depth.
My background is that of conservation management, currently employed as a conservation ranger in the south-west, so I guess you could say I'm aclimatised to being out of doors, in the woods, on the heath or grassland, my fauna id is generally good as well as bird calls and tree ident.

Looking for something which I feel will be time well spent and not specifically targeted for the average joe although if it was comprehensive wouldn't rule it out.

So people, any ideas, lets get talking.

cheers,
Noel.

VonNoelio

Sep 25, 2008
Devon
Thanks for the reply there Squantrill,
I have seen the shadowhawk website but put it to one side as their were no dates for next year.
Have you attended any of their courses? and if so what made them worthwhile? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
Its so difficult to judge a course purely on the look of a website, I'm a big believer in personal recommendation for things like this.
I'm going to e-mail them to find out on next years course dates.
cheers.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
Not quite firsthand experience but id say look at woodlore's course. It'll be expensive but from what I've heard and what I experienced on their fundamentals course id say it'll be good.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Try Rhoda at Worldwild. They're based in Cornwall so fit your south west requirement

Not been on any of her courses but I know Rhoda and she's a very nice lady. You also get a discount with worldwild if you're a BcUK member.

VonNoelio

Sep 25, 2008
Devon
Lordyosch - would love to do the Woodlore course but unfortunately pennies are an issue, especially the wife's present still to get!

Mesquite - will check out Worldwide.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
I attended the Shadowhawk course this summer. I would lack words to say how great it was. Not only tracking but also an eye opener on how to perceive things in the wild and how to be in tune. It exceeded my expectations by far.

The website does not make them credit at all and I believe the agenda there is not up to date. Maybe you should drop them a mail.

Not affiliated or any connection with them apart from being an happy customer.

P.

VonNoelio

Sep 25, 2008
Devon
Thank you Pierr, have sent mail over to Shadowhawk and I'm awaiting a reply. Will post on as to wether successful or not.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Thanks for the reply there Squantrill,
I have seen the shadowhawk website but put it to one side as their were no dates for next year.

Maybe worth dropping a mail and asking, I waited a year to get on the course from a recommendation; and I must say it was worth it. Im not saying other courses are better or worse as I have no experience with them.
But really shadowhawks website doesn't do the company any justice at all!! the course was amazing.

Have you attended any of their courses? and if so what made them worthwhile? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Yes I did the tracker course, your made to feel part of the team very quickly , I guess it does depend on other course participants as well of course but I found the whole time there a learning experience. Apart from the actual tracking I found out a lot about myself whilst there to ;)

It's so difficult to judge a course purely on the look of a website, I'm a big believer in personal recommendation for things like this.
I'm going to e-mail them to find out on next years course dates.
cheers.

I agree the website is not a guide especially in this case it's a bit like find a kebab shop down a dark dingy ally that looks really bad from the outside you get in there and its the best place in town for kebabs ;)
shadowhawk are often quite difficult to get hold of!!

persist it's worth it..

and good luck whatever you choose to do..

Simon

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Agree that Shadowhawks is a good bet , I haven;t done tracking with anyone else but found their approach worked well with me.
Other schools may also be worth looking at , ive only experience of Shadow hawks and was happy with the tutorials and teaching methods.

Max, is to be fair to him quite busy working as a professional tracker and has a very hectic schedule so do perservere and ring him or send copious e-mails. I think course numbers due to his other commitments are limited due to available time, so up to you.

Drop me a PM if you wish to chat further.

I've just remembered that Wilderness Survival Skills , a bushrcraft primitive survival school have a course booked to run next year with Max ( from ShadowHawks) as the instructor! So if you have a look at this link you should be able to get a course squared away for the early part of 2010. Hope this helps.

http://www.wilderness-survival.co.uk/tracking-course/

Still drop me a PM If you wish.

Last edited:

VonNoelio

Sep 25, 2008
Devon
Thanks one and all,

have spoken to Ian Maxwell at Shadowhawk and I've booked on his 4 day course in April. I'm looking forward to it with baited breath, will give me something to look forward to once Xmas and the new year have come and gone.

So thanks again to everyone who posted, all inputs were read and appreciated.

Wishing everyone a merry christmas.

leon-1

Hi mate, I have done a couple of courses with Max at Shadowhawk and both were very good, people have also mentioned Rhoda at Worldwild who is also a good instructor, but there are also a couple of other schools to look at the first being Woody at Bushcraft Expeditions and the other Would be Geoffrey McMullan Pathfinder-UK.

I think any time spent with any of the above is time well spent, I prefer Woody's style of instruction, but that's my personal preference. No matter which you go with for future courses I think you'll learn lots. All the best,

Leon.

leahcim

Tenderfoot
Aug 2, 2011
USA
tom brown jr is the best tracker out there. he has classes in New Jersey and Florida. Trained by Apachee Scout from early 1900's he is the best there is. He has books on tracking, like Science of Tracking, Wilderness Survival books etc. he has a web page just look up his name or tracker school. If I had to relearn any tracking skills, it would be from him for sure. He got me started 25 years ago, and I cant thank him enough. he is a God sent blessing to me, and saved my live many times with his kowledge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE