Can Anyone Recommend a Cheap Air Mattress?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
Hi All,

I'm a ground sleeper and use an OK self-inflatable mattress which is comfortable, but bulky and won't fit in my pack. There's no room to strap it onto the outside of my pack and I don't like carrying it separately, so I'm now looking for a sleeping option which can fit neatly inside of my pack. Some of the thinner self-inflatables pack up quite nicely but I need a bit of thickness as I sleep on my side and find it quite uncomfortable if I've not got a some padding beneath my hip.

The obvious option it seems to me, is a non-self inflating air mattress but I'm also on a really tight budget and many of the recognised brands are outside of my price bracket.

Could anyone recommend me a cheap air mattress which folds/rolls up to a compact size so that it can fit easily in my pack and costs less than about £30?

Cheers,
Matt.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
Just save up and grab a thermarest neoair xlite, it's worth it.

Yep, I was looking at the Thermarest Venture WV. Maybe for Christmas.

Also, look at Multimatt's range. They do some nice cheap and comfortable non self inflatable ones. Most are 7cm thick.

Yes, I was looking at these and will weigh them up against the Hi-Gear mattress kindly suggested by Bowlin above. The Hi-Gear is only £7, but Multimat have a bit more of a whiff of quality about them.

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
I use Multimat air mattresses all the time. Had a Superlight Air (until a "friend" was careless with a knife), very light (300g) and compact but about £60. Currently have a Camper Air, about 770g, very compact and easy to get for under £20. They're very comfortable if you can cope with them being only 19 inches wide, there's no insulation but I find them warm enough from mid April to the end of September.

That said I do want an X-lite.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Do those ultimate have insulation in them like neoairs or expend syn/down mats? If not could be cold in the cooler months. I'm currently saving up for a synmat or downmat. Trouble is I need 3 for myself, partner and son. Going to be expensive! Worth the comfort, warmth and compact packing for cycle tours.

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
Do those ultimate have insulation in them like neoairs or expend syn/down mats? If not could be cold in the cooler months. I'm currently saving up for a synmat or downmat. Trouble is I need 3 for myself, partner and son. Going to be expensive! Worth the comfort, warmth and compact packing for cycle tours.

Multimats aren't insulated, think the only easy to get hold of in the UK insulated air mats are Thermarest and Exped and those are not cheap. Really good but not cheap.

MonsterBeetle

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2011
Oxfordshire
I've used two Mulitmats for a few years now. The Superlite Air which although slightly fragile and something you need to look after is about the smallest and lightest mat going and a more robust one in the Superlite 25. Although not insulated I have used this in every month of year in temperatures below -10 and have never been cold. That was in a bivvy under a tarp as well. They seem to have gone up in price, as most things these days, but I only paid £25 for Superlite 25 and £30 for the Air.

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
I've used two Mulitmats for a few years now. The Superlite Air which although slightly fragile and something you need to look after is about the smallest and lightest mat going and a more robust one in the Superlite 25. Although not insulated I have used this in every month of year in temperatures below -10 and have never been cold. That was in a bivvy under a tarp as well. They seem to have gone up in price, as most things these days, but I only paid £25 for Superlite 25 and £30 for the Air.

The Superlight 25 is lovely but its a 1 inch thick insulated SIM (with a 2.2 R value I believe) rather than straight air mat (the multimat ones have a 0.9 R value). Even with the current prices I think they're good value. Superlight 38 is even better if you don't mind a bit more weight and bulk.

Well done on getting those prices. :D

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
[QUOTE/][Get a blow up lilo and put a survival foil blanket under it][/QUOTE]

I spent a month sleeping with this arrangement on an excavation over twenty years ago - I wouldn't do it again. My Thermarest classic (ok a bit bulky and heavy) is just luxury compared with that arrangement. Ok, so you can't afford Thermarest or a Neo Air, but a Multimat 25 might do. I got one for £3.95 from a charity shop about a month ago (still had the tags on), and although its fair bit thinner than the Thermarest, because its folds in half longways, it packs down relatively small. Millets even have a sale on them at the moment, so down to £25.

If your going anywhere near Alpkits showroom, have a look and see if they have anything left over from their old range of mats - you might get a bargain.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
I've seen a Klymit Static V for £38. A little over my ideal budget but it seems a good buy.
Anyhow, my car has just scraped through it's MoT with an advisory that the tyres are right on the legal limit for tread depth, so I think I may have to put any purchase plans on hold for a few weeks in favour of some safe rubbers.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I had a Vango Trek self inflating mat for 3 years and was well pleased with it. When it developed a leak I binned it and bought a Multimat inflatable which is comfortable enough but awkward to deflate. I will be getting another Vango trek standard soon. Here's its specs...

Trek Mat Standard

• Length 183cm
  • Width 51cm
  • Depth 3cm
  • Weight 860g
  • Pack Size 33x 19cm

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
I've seen a Klymit Static V for £38. A little over my ideal budget but it seems a good buy.
Anyhow, my car has just scraped through it's MoT with an advisory that the tyres are right on the legal limit for tread depth, so I think I may have to put any purchase plans on hold for a few weeks in favour of some safe rubbers.

Taffinch,

Who is selling the Static V for £38 ? that is a real bargain, I can vouch for the Static V, it is so light and compact and very very comfortable.

rorymax

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE