Can anybody help an American with advice on Hawke rifle scopes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

heysmithy

Jan 27, 2011
USA - Midwest
Hello folks. I frequent the American sister site to this, BushcraftUSA, and had a question for our brethren in the UK. As I understand it, Hawke rifle scopes are supposedly pretty popular over there. Is that right? Over here in America we know almost nothing about them. Popular brands here are Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell, Zeiss (at the really high-end), and a few others...

I saw a Hawke Frontier SF once, and it was obviously of excellent quality! I would love to get my hands on one, but apparently they've either discontinued that line of scopes or the don't sell them over here anymore. Now the only Hawke scopes available to me are the Sidewinder, Eclipse, Nite-Eye, and Panorama. Each one has different options for reticles, objective lens sizes, etc. I'm not unfamiliar with scopes, I shoot rifles often, but I'm unfamiliar with Hawke scopes.

Does anyone have experience with any of these scopes? Recommendations? In terms of optical quality, which of these scopes are better?

By the way, I'll be using this on a Remington 700 in .308 Winchester (7.62x51 NATO), if that helps. Thanks in advance for any help.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Welcome to the forum fellah.

Hawke are still out there - they are made by Deben. They are a budget scope (but a respectable one). I have used one for about seven years on my Marlin with no issues (didn't see much point in spending too much on a pistol calibre carbine).

The current range is here

http://www.deben.com/rifle-scopes.html

You may struggle to get some of them now as import and export of gun parts (including sights) from the USA seems to have become near impossible lately - I have had two companies turn down my money in the US and a gun smith friend of mine refuses to even try and export there now.

If I can help in any way, shoot me a PM

ETA I would look at a 6-24x50 SF Nite-Eye Digital for what you describe. Most would go Mil Dot but I'd have a good look at the SR12 Reticle myself - I find ti more instinctive and the wide bars at 6 O'clock help with aiming at a variety of ranges.

Red

Last edited:

heysmithy

Jan 27, 2011
USA - Midwest
Thanks for the assist! They do seem to be "budget priced" at all the places where I can buy them. To be honest I was kind of hoping that was just a US thing, like they were trying to break into the US market so they were selling the scopes cheaper or something. I thought they were more known for really top quality scopes, so I was just taken by surprise when I saw some of the prices on the internet. I don't mind paying a little more to put a great scope on this particular rifle. Like you said, it might be different with a shorter-range carbine. I think I'll just go ahead and get a good top-end Nikon or Leupold scope.

Thanks again.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I own both Leupold and Nikon and have been pleased with both company's products. Leupold has some great options in both reticle choice and target knob selection. It is worth talking to them by phone to get exactly what you want in both reticle and knobs.

Of the two, I am personally a fan of the Leupold...as my Scout rifle shows! Red

Nice looking Steyr Red! What caliber?

Gordy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That ones in .223 - I really do enjoy shooting it - so much so that I'm toying with the TE version in .308. Nice rifles.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
That ones in .223 - I really do enjoy shooting it - so much so that I'm toying with the TE version in .308. Nice rifles.

I have a couple of rifles chambered in .223 I use for predator hunting. I handload for them and enjoy the caliber. The TE version of the Steyr has some really nice features. Maybe one day :sigh: ...though here not a common item to purchase. Love my .308s too.

Gordy

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Hi Gordon

I agree with red over scope choice, I actually shoot the Remington 700 SPS varmint in .223 and I have no issues at all with accuracy and dropped the bugger once when the sling broke with no effect on its zero, all in all a sweet combo.

D

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
As has been said, Hawke are one of the budget scopes which cary in quality quite a bit. There are some good ones but there are a lot of rubbish ones as well in my experience. They are not as bad a some of the really cheap Chinease ones but for the most part they are pretty cheaply made when compared to Leups, Burris etc.. A lot of them are used on Air Rifles as well so I dont know if they would stand up to a .308's recoil, as I have seen some that have got broken reticules from using them on a recoiling springer airgun.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I actually shoot the Remington 700 SPS varmint in .223 ..., all in all a sweet combo. D

Hi Damacus, the M700 series are fine rifles. Leupold offers a great selection of reticles and target knobs that allow the shooter to get a "custom" scope for their rifle, even down to load selection, if one so chooses. Great stuff for the shooter.

Gordy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE