Campsite Fires

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Good idea.

How about something like the Met office has for their forecast map. Members locations and campsites could be used instead of having the tabs for wind, weather and temperature to stop one map getting too cluttered.

archiet

Jan 6, 2005
London
i know this is a very old thread but did this list of campsites ever get put together somewhere?

Is there a link to this?

thanks for the help.

PeterW

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2004
Nottinghamshire
I run a Scout Association campsite in Nottinghamshire... Its a 9 acre wood, with a few buildings etc, and we don't allow ground fires for the simple reason the site is made up of around 9" of leafmould sat on solid sandstone...

But..... We do have a BIG campfire circle, complete with benches etc, and we do have purpose built altar fires. I also allow the proper use of BBQ's and also have been known to allow the use of dustbin lid altar fires now and again... ;)

SA rules regarding Child Protection are quite restrictive, but if there isn't anyone on site, then there is no real reason that having a chat to the friendly warden might not find you a place to camp and do your thing... Within reason...!!!

Cheers

Pete

PeterW

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2004
Nottinghamshire
Wayland said:
It does not cost much to run yourself through the CRB checks, I do it every couple of years because I work in schools a lot.

If we are able to present CRB papers this would presumably simplify matters.

Believe it or not....

CRB Checks are not cross transferable...!!! We have a number of teachers and police officers who are CRB checked for thier jobs, but this does not count for the Scout Association...!!! Also, some education authorities insist on checking new teachers joining schools, even if a teacher only had a CRB done a few weeks before in another authority....!

Its a mad world....!!!

Cheers

Peter

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
tolmer in hertfordshire used to let you have ground fires but it is a scout campsite maybe of season for scouts?
walesby in notts has peat underneath so no ground fires but ok in alters and this site is 250 acres so they do let others on whilst scouts are about but just the other end of the land maybe maybe not?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
PeterW said:
Believe it or not....

CRB Checks are not cross transferable...!!! We have a number of teachers and police officers who are CRB checked for thier jobs, but this does not count for the Scout Association...!!! Also, some education authorities insist on checking new teachers joining schools, even if a teacher only had a CRB done a few weeks before in another authority....!

Its a mad world....!!!

Cheers

Peter

I think it depends on the organisation whether CRB checks are transferable, if you apply for another warrant(for eg scout leader to cub leader) we need to reapply for a CRB check yet I have used my scout CRB certificate to get a job in a college without a problem. I think it comes down to the way rules are read by individual decision makers.
There are also two levels of CRB, enhanced for if you work directly with kids, and standard for if you work in an area that kids have access, for contractors etc working on school premises.

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
george said:
What about on the foreshore?

I don't know about the law in Jersey but in Scotland you have the right to make a fire on the land that lies between the high tide mark and the low tide mark. the tide mark determined by usual spring high tides.

That means that unless it is a high spring tide theres always a bit of ground you can get a fire going on.

George

Hasn't the law changed in Scotland under the Scottish Access Legislation?
You can make a fire as long as it is not on someone's doorstep or on national heritage land

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
This thread has made me realise that I've been very lucky in getting to stay in the scout owned woods local to me.

I'm gonna make sure I don't do anything to upset them!

It didn't occur to me, but my partner and her mum were suprised that I was allowed to stay without being checked out first. Maybe turning up as a family with the kids the first time I had a look around put them at ease, also mentioning that it was my sons beaver leader that told me about the place may have helped.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
gillmacca said:
Hasn't the law changed in Scotland under the Scottish Access Legislation?
You can make a fire as long as it is not on someone's doorstep or on national heritage land

yes it has changed

generally if it is not a danger or nuisance then it should be ok

of course the rules are not quite that simple and it never hurts to ask first ;)

here are the details http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/default.asp

Tant

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Scotland:

Access rights extend to wild camping. This type of camping is lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply but help to avoid causing problems for local people and land managers by not camping in enclosed fields of crops or farm animals and by keeping well away from buildings, roads or historic structures. Take extra care to avoid disturbing deer stalking or grouse shooting. If you wish to camp close to a house or building, seek the owner’s permission. Leave no trace by:
-taking away all your litter;
-removing all traces of your tent pitch and of any open fire (follow the guidance for lighting fires);
-not causing any pollution.

Taken From: http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/default.asp?nPageID=189&nSubContentID=0

Cheers Tant ;)

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
I have not read through all the post so I apologise if I am repeating what has already been mentioned.

On Exmoor I know of two sites that allow fires
Lorna Doone Campsite allows fires however fire wood is scarce.
My favourite site is pool bridge camp site located in the Horner valley. Cracking camp site with plenty of fire wood .

bp1974

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
London
I've just phoned up Debden House in Essex to ask about their fire permits. They said that they will issue them to families camping there, but not to people camping on their own. :(

Apparently I'm allowed to have a bbq, providing it doesn't touch the ground..

May 17, 2005
Near Cambridge
This is in France, in the Pyrenees. It's a great area for wild camping (I think it's legally permitted a minimum of 2 or 3 kms from public roads, but as long as you're discreet it seems to be accepted all over the place.

For a bit more luxury, this is a great campsite with individual pitches terraced into a steep slope. Small, peaceful (apart from the donkeys) and you can make fires to your heart's content.

(Edited to add the link, doh!)

http://www.pyrenees-gites.com/gites-pyr/pyrenees-gites/mountain-camping.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE