Campsite Fires

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Tullymore Forest Park in Northern Ireland has a youth campsite that allows fires, though they have to be extinguished before 11pm I think. i used it during my years in the Boys Brigade and with my dad who knew the warden so allowed us to use it. The warden may be sympathetic to those who approach him and explain their case.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Finally got an asnwer of my local Scout owned woodland, they are only for youth groups also.

I`m getting quite disheartened in trying to find places where the simple activites of bushcraft can be enjoyed. I have been in contact with sooo many places in my county (staffordshire) and not one is open to members of the public.

I still go off into Cannock Chase on the quite, but it would be nice to find just one place where poeple with this interest could meet up locally.

Paul

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
Nomad

I think from my dealings with places that the biggest worry to most landowners is the risk of damage or litigation arising from injury. What we need is some form of third party/damage protection insurance, similar to that offered to airgun shooters, a collegue who is a keen shot has managed to get permission to shoot over land when he has bought the fact that he carries insurance into the conversation. Anyone with underwriting experience out there?

Cheers

Shaun

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
George, who was the ranger in Tollymore for as long as I can remember retired during the summer. I had a hate/love relationship with him, having had the odd run in with him as a teenager. Later I came to appreciate his "less than politically correct" sense of humour. He was always very friendly, unless you happened to be an "unaccompanied" teenage fella.

That said I was there towards the end of summer with SWMBO and the guys (there seem to be two) who have taken over couldn't be friendlier.

Nick in Belfast

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Dont be supprised if you get the big NO from Scout camp sites or similar its not the association being nasty, but the child protection act comeing in to play.
All people have to be checked by the criminal records bureau before being allowed on to such areas and that can take up to 3 months, and you also have to be a member of the Scout association before you can use them. :biggthump :biggthump

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Would that still count if you arranged it at a time when there was noone else using it, or would that be at the Wardens discretion? I'm going to phone up a few places soon and try to find somewhere in this area..... unless theres anyone else in the area that knows of somewhere??? I don't mind travelling but it would be nice to find a site that could be used on a regular basis.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Strictly speaking the warden should say no unless you are a Scout association member as you would not be covered by the insurance.
But haveing said that its always worth a try, or why not join the Scout association.

Feb 5, 2004
Geez I realy do feel for you guys.
The worst thing I have to worry about (in Canada) is being 50m of the trail to make a fire. Even with a full blown fire ban, I have a little piece of paper in my walet saying I can make I fire. (Trapper license)

M

max

Brecon Beacons (west)

Grid ref:(10 fig off my garmin)map grid SN, eastings-91713 /northings-08451, my gps' are jam packed with bivi/ wild camp locations throughout the uk- it's like a crime file of everywhere i've slepted out.

In the waterfall country of the beacons, by the old gunpowder works and royal engineers pioneers bridge - spent many a day and night here, built shelters, fires even had some eels out of the river with friends and on my own, no bother - no hassle - open use.

Tip - don't leave your motor in the dinas rock car park.

Good walking country through these woods - the famous Sgwd y elra waterfall that you can walk behind.

Enjoy :-D

Maxmountains

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Ever made it to the Black Mountain on the wester side of the Brecons?
Another great place!

M

max

Hello Adi

Y Mynydd Du

Yeah - another favourite place to wake up in, fantastic bivi at the fairy lake sn80124 - 21911 off the garmin again

I've dropped my motor in brecon got a lift out to llandovery and spent 2 days walking over west to east over fan fawr, pen y fan and back to brecon several times - last time was just before xmas,fantastic route - rained all weekend - love it!

Maxmountains

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Loads of crashed planes in that area ... super place to roam!

max said:
Hello Adi

Y Mynydd Du

Yeah - another favourite place to wake up in, fantastic bivi at the fairy lake sn80124 - 21911 off the garmin again

I've dropped my motor in brecon got a lift out to llandovery and spent 2 days walking over west to east over fan fawr, pen y fan and back to brecon several times - last time was just before xmas,fantastic route - rained all weekend - love it!

Maxmountains

M

max

Yeah - i've never took much interest in them - too busy looking at the scenery, although there is a book on brecon beacon crash sites i seen it in the visitor centre.

Maxmountains

N

Nyogtha13

For those of us in NI,or want to visit, i know that the Scout campsite at Crawfordsburn allow ground fires in some areas and altar fires on the camp field.
The site is usually ok about non scout members provided there are not too many, especially when not busy. It is also possible to bivvy out. someone asked about trains, it is about 10-15 minute walk from the station.
There is a volunteer wardens team at weekends who look after the site.
there is also the usual scout activites for kids or adults if you want.
Insurance should cover you because you are paying to use the site, i know that it is used by a lot of people who are not Scouts.
And it is in a country park with some nice walks and close to the beach.

All the best

Robin

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Lithril said:
Would that still count if you arranged it at a time when there was noone else using it, or would that be at the Wardens discretion? I'm going to phone up a few places soon and try to find somewhere in this area..... unless theres anyone else in the area that knows of somewhere??? I don't mind travelling but it would be nice to find a site that could be used on a regular basis.

Fearney Crofts (Hampshire County Scout Camp site) in the new forest has (or had) no problems with open fires the last time I was there - last summer. The trouble is that it's not exactly big (and of course there's the matter of being a Scout Association member). It's not small, but there aren't that many tucked away areas to camp in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE