Campsite Fires

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
we are compiling a list of campsites that allow people to have fires. I know of a few that allow them out of the main season and it is slow work trawling through the phone book!

If anyone knows of anywhere that allows fires let us know via this thread or mail info@bushcraftuk.co.uk

Thanks guys and girls

Tone

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, I figured to list those that allow fires and those that allow BBQ's It's amazing how many sites will not even allow you to have a BBQ. I figure the best places are scout campsites, on some of them they give you quite a bit of freedom to do what you want......I have to say though that some of them are really bureaucratic and it's a right pain :AR15firin

My tent is big enough for a fire box which I think is an advantage. When are you due to get your Tepee Martyn?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Tone,

Debden house, Debden Green, Essex always fires and is right on the edge of Epping forest.

I have run courses from there its a good spot

Kev P

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 12, 2003
Beds
Fisherground campsite in Eskdale, Cumbria lets you have fires all year round. It can get a bit busy in summer, but I was there at Easter and we were the only ones there.
Also Scout campsites can be ok, it depends on the warden :wink: . I use a small wooded scout site locally which is fine and is empty most of the time.

Scoutbase at http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/cgi-bin/camping/db.cgi?db=camping&uid=default
lets you find youre nearest scout camp.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Guys - I have got together about 15 sites so far, I will get them up here when I have checked the details. Then at some stage I will put it up as information in the main site. Gary has already had success with the scout sites.

A

Anonymous

The Only one I know of is Lower Rocks East, north of Bath near Marshfield.
Its a great venue, woods, grottos ponds etc, heard someone had done courses there? I was there at winter Solstice for friends handfasting, and they didn't seem to mind the burning of a 50 foot wicker man full of fireworks!
I prefer hedge mumping. As my friend calls it. Those quiet country lanes where you can pull off the road and tuck yourself away under the hedge.
A favorate is a Drove near Avebury, favoured by horsedrawn travellers. You can usually find a pile of firewood tucked in the hedge by the previous occupant, so you can get a brew on within minutes of arriving.
I travelled with a horsedrawn friend briefly one year, who had a map passed on by an old Gypsy with such places marked on it. It made our travels far easier. So I have now started marking them up (I was taught never to write on maps at School!!!!). Although my girlfiend threw the last one away cos it was falling apart !
Enuf Ramblin
Rich :shock:

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
... i can tell you somewhere where you won't have one.
Over here in Jersey in the Channel Islands...

It's illegal to wild camp...
you can't have fires anywhere, even on the 4 or so proper camp sites..

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen tho :)
Kinda spoils it a bit, whenever i go out, i'm always expecting the old bill to turn up in the morning ready to take me off down the cop shop :(

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
What about BBQ type and woodburning stoves in Jersey.... can they be used on the campsites?

Also, what is the score with private land over there..... any chance of getting permission to camp there... maybe have fires, or is the fire thing an Island wide law?

:-D
Ed

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Yeah, well bbq's are fine, as long as they are "traditional bbq's",
have to look posh etc... bit like that over here at most camp sites.
I don't think they'll take too kindly to brazier type, hobo stoves if you know what i mean.

Private land, well it's only 9miles x 5miles here, every square inch is owned by someone, and they don't take kindly to it.
but i'm guessing if you knew someone with some land and they were friendly then they may let you.

Just have to find a friendly old Jersey farmer..... hmmmm, easier said than done ;)

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
What about on the foreshore?

I don't know about the law in Jersey but in Scotland you have the right to make a fire on the land that lies between the high tide mark and the low tide mark. the tide mark determined by usual spring high tides.

That means that unless it is a high spring tide theres always a bit of ground you can get a fire going on.

George

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Hi George,

TBH, i think they'd still try and have a few words with you for it.
well at least the "honoury police" we have over here would.

Saying that, during summer, a lot of people have BBQ's on the beach so maybe they turn a blind eye to it.. but then they are "controlled" BBQ's... not the roaring bonfires i'd be making ;)

I think you could be right, it probably is within the law to do that..
have to go and find out really :)

Would be especially useful over here, Jersey has one of the biggest tidal areas in europe / the world (i think), nearly doubles in size when the tide's out..... although saying that, it does come in blinking fast too! :)

Cheers
Carlo

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
we have the same problems here in guernsey ci as they have in jersey
your even exspected to ask for permission to have a bbq on the beach and as for country side apart from the cliff walks or golf course there isnt
much but on a brighter note the boss owns 20 acres of private land on the
south coast and 20 more inland near the airport

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
someone was asking about camp fires at the scout camp at beaudesert in cannock, can't remember who it was doing the asking though, sorry! i used to work for the princes trust volunteers and i took teams of students to beaudesert, we had camp fires on a number of occasions there always with the full permission of the camp warden and never with any problems at all. there's a specific campfire area there in a great spot with logs to sit on, trees all round to keep you cosy, and plenty of space to keep the beers far enough from the firs to keep them cool!! there's also a very good sheltered bbq area.
hope this helps whoever was doing the asking!!

stuart

p.s. on a slightly different topic i also happend to be wandering round the woods there on one occasion and i came across half a dozen "debris" shelters, i don't know who built them as i didn't really get chance to ask, but their presence there would seem to indicate that whoever is in charge of the woodland there is pretty sympathetic to bushcraft activities, don't know if that's of any interest to anyone at all but i thought i'd tell you anyway.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
it's a pretty nice site altogether actually, secluded enough, right on the edge of a big area of woodland, still close to a local pub and not far from a shop. i've spent some very happy hard working weeks there. hope you enjopy the place if you end up using it at all.
stuart

p.s. and if you happen to see a white beadered bloke walking round smoking cherry tobacco from a meerschaum pipe, his name's graham, tell him i said hi!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE