Camping south of the Scottish Border

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
This is purely a hypothetical thread. I have no real intention of camping in England as its much simpler in Scotland

In this scenario if you camp / bushcraft in England without permission, assuming that you get caught. What would actually happen to you bar getting told to "gerrof ma grun".

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Erm did post but then thought maybe not good idea to say what /where i did camping wise as a young man think attitudes have changed and forum mods dont like this discussed.

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Seems to be fairly accepted practice that in the Lake District if you camp above about a thousand foot (on common land and if you don't be a numpty and light fires) they don't bother you.
I've done it often enough where I've set up camp a short while before its getting dark and providing you are up and camp packed up before the bobble hatters are on the move (that seems to be about 08:30 or so and you leave no trace nobody knows you were even there.

All bets are off if you camp on someones private land, hack down trees, light fires, leave tinnies all over the place, cover the landscape in used bogroll and act gobby when they ask you to get out.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You can be prosecuted for criminal damage if you've lit a fire or cut down trees. Best to get permission or just use a stove

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
ok fair enough in my 20's i went to the lakes virtually ever weekend with my mate and sometimes camped at the more remote sites, but quite alot of the time we just walked during the day,and slept wherever we ended up at the end of it, be it layby's,fields, wood's, lake or river sides,hillsides etc, we always cooked on gas stoves when doing this and just slept in bivi bags and we never had a word said to us, im not recommending this its mearly what i did nearly 20 years ago, alls we needed to do the next day was stuff our bivis in our rucks and off we went.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE