Camping Safety survey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Maybe if you tell us a bit more about yourself rather than just ask folk to fill out a survey might get you a few more responses :)

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Done.
In return, it would be kind if you could share some of the results of your research with the forum. 😀

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
I'm guessing question 4 is supposed to read GPS? If not, what is a GSP?
Question 5 "is the biggest safety issue", or "are the biggest safety issues". "Is the biggest safety issues" isn't that clear. Question 8, preceding question.
Assuming you have to include your questions and data in your work, I'd be tempted to put as much effort into proof reading as in finding suitable places to post your survey!
Like to see what others think of as the safety risks though...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The last questions assume you set up a base camp then potter around the countryside, but returning to the camp or stay in the camp doing Gods know what.
Most of the people I know, including myself, overnight only one night at the same place, then move on. Think hiking a trail, or hiking following no trail. Hiking between lakes and rivers, fishing.

Anyway, i did it, but only the parts that are applicable.

Just for the record, camp or wilderness safety is not carrying a ton of electronic devices, but knowing your stuff, knowing your limitations, knowing your map and compass.
And not doing what Mr Grylls does, running around unknown terrain like a madman drinking urine and eating carrion.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Decades ago, we would hunt and fish out of a base camp for 1-2 weeks at a time.
That kind of a camp turns into something quite hospitable, rain, shine or snow.
Often annual returns to anticipate facilities or lack thereof. I answered as such.
We had no more electronics than a couple of 3VDC torches.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Fifty years ago the only electronics I took was a torch (flashlight) and within a couple of years a transistor radio.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I agree that you seem to be thinking about a fixed camp, travelling light is another case.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE