Camping in the UK - need advice!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
I'm coming from almost zero background knowledge, so i would be thankful if you could answer a few of my - probably very easy - questions.

1 - What are the laws on camping over here? Am i allowed to camp anywhere or do i need specific permission? Am i only allowed to camp in designated camping sites?

I know in Sweden you can camp pretty much anywhere for one night, but i have a feeling the laws over here are stricter.

2 - This is sort of related to question 1. Are there any good camping spots near London? My closest 'wild' spot is probably Epping forest, but that's pretty busy and i don't know if there are any rules about camping there.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
You'll need permission from the landowner if you're not on a paying site. That said, it's so difficult finding the owner of large forests that a lot of people (ahem) camp wild illegally, just do it very discreetly. Obviously this isn't encouraged on the forum because of issues with being seen to condone illegal camping which is hard to argue with. Scotland on the other hand has different laws, I'm sure someone from North of the border will know the details of their wild camping rights a lot better than I do though.

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
As already said you need the landowners permission, a good place to start looking for official sites is here:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

You need to first consider what features you want ie do you want showers, wash area, any fesh water supply, would you like a fire, do you want to be near a woodland/river, are you happy to share with caravans etc etc every site varies so identify your priorities and search from there :)

apj1974

Nomad
Nov 17, 2009
Lancashire. UK
www.apj.org.uk
As already said you need the landowners permission,

That is true for England and Wales, but I think that the situation is different in Scotland due to the different access laws - I'm pretty sure you are allowed to camp on hill land there as long as you are a certain distance from roads and habitation. Perhaps one of our Scottish members can confirm.

That said regarding England and Wales there are areas where whilst you legally need the landowners permission, there is also a general accepted norm that as long as you behave and camp away from farms etc you are unlikely to be moved on (particularly in mountainous areas.) But if you are moved on, just be polite and courteous.

Isn't Dartmoor different too?

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
wild camping is tolerated in snowdonia and the lake district think you need to be above the highest walls ie farmland and the general rule is pitch late and pack early i think scotland is relatively good with wild camping. Land owners permission is generally required but ive never had a problem leave no trace is the key

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
Well that's disappointing to be honest. I was hoping getting out into the countryside and camping would be a good chance to get away from all the minor regulations and officialdom that i have to put up with in London. :)

You need to first consider what features you want ie do you want showers, wash area, any fesh water supply, would you like a fire, do you want to be near a woodland/river, are you happy to share with caravans etc etc every site varies so identify your priorities and search from there :)

Actually i would much prefer to be as far away from other people as it is possible to be, at least for the few days i'll be camping anyway. I personally have never seen the point in camping sites with all onsite amenities. For the price you have to pay, and the fact that you'll be surrounded by people anyway, i'd rather just go to a hotel.

I think i'll just have to start pitching my tent out of sight and hoping for the best then...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE