Camping and Carravaning club

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Been for a few days in Cornwall and have seen a lot of their boards on, oh, just about every other farm gate.

Anyone know anything about them? I have heard they are terrible snobs.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Depends on the site. I know of a very small site that will happily let non-members camp there. I used the place last summer, using just a tarp. Was charged £3 a night. Facilities were just a loo, a sink, and a water tap.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
I,m one!!!

it gives excellent acess to the places you think "ooh it would be nice to stay round here" but cant find a commercial site,

the little nooks and cranny type farm yards and orchards etc are usually limited to 5 units (vans) but tend to be un limited for tents

we stayed in a field next to a massive commercial site (and got use of the facitiltes) in cornwall ans paid a 10th of the price for an extra 100 yards to the loo's

never come across any snobs though,...the opposite in fact,...

your normally thrust a cuppa within minutes of getting the tent out the car,...(and an offer of help)

cant reccomend it more,....

even if its for the "big sites book" which lists every associated place in the UK....

cheers

Stu

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
There are 2 clubs The Caravan Club (allegedly snobby - but I don't know) and the Camping and Caravan Club who call themselves "the friendly club" I'm a member of the latter and they certainly have some great locations.
The "Certificated" locations are the small ones with very few facilities, usually in lovely places and there is a strict limit on the number of tents or 'vans - usually less then 10 per site.
I think both clubs are good and, as Raikey says, people are very friendly and the sites run by both organisations are good - especially the very small ones.

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
I,m one!!!

it gives excellent acess to the places you think "ooh it would be nice to stay round here" but cant find a commercial site,

the little nooks and cranny type farm yards and orchards etc are usually limited to 5 units (vans) but tend to be un limited for tents

we stayed in a field next to a massive commercial site (and got use of the facitiltes) in cornwall ans paid a 10th of the price for an extra 100 yards to the loo's

never come across any snobs though,...the opposite in fact,...

your normally thrust a cuppa within minutes of getting the tent out the car,...(and an offer of help)

cant reccomend it more,....

even if its for the "big sites book" which lists every associated place in the UK....

cheers

Stu

Me too well worth it :D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Anyone know anything about them? I have heard they are terrible snobs.

Sometimes I shake my head at the generalised statements that are made......... Be nice to just enquire and get opinions answered before making statements that cover a whole swath of the population...

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
I used to write for their magazine - a bit too much Caravan rather than Camping these days - for my taste....

thats true,

Although the last few years have seen a rise in the number of tenting families very few of those stray from the commercial sites

for me theres nothing worse than waiting for a shower cubicle and queing for the bingo and the whole "organised fun" aspect of the commercial site,

but it must have appeal as we often find ourselves the only tent(s) most of the time

i do feel guilty at times for taking advantage of the sites and not giving much back in the way of a social contribution, (but i,m not brilliant company anyway...ha)

i have run into bother too for breaking the "keep it to a whisper after 11pm" rule,...or is it 10pm??,...can never remember,...ha!,... hence me being chastised,...often!

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I am a member of the Caravan Club and I would say its very neat and tidy. Many site do not allow tents (without a caravan). whether someone is snobby is personal IMO.

Robert Falcon Scott was the president of the camping and caravan club at one time. Caravaning is becoming so popular you wouldnt belive it.

The small sites are called certificated locations and are much more informal I have even seen them in a garden and facilities vary a lot even including electric hook ups.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Brancho is it getting popular enough for sites to offer FULL hook-ups? I mean do they offer not just electric and water hook-up but full seweage hook-up to the RV (caravan) so that the camper need not visit the shared bathroom/showers but rather use the ones in the RV? (without having to visit a dump station later to empty the onboard sewage holding tanks)

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
We're a member of the Caravan and Camping - have been for about 3 years. Well worth it for cheap camping all over, and as others have said, at places you actually want to stop at and avoiding the commercial 900 pitch sites.
We stayed in Norfolk about 2 miles from the sea for £10 a night for 4 of us - 2 loos and a nice shower room. Can't complain at £70 a week!

Snozz

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
It's the Caravan Club that are the snobs. I was a member for years. Motorhomes and caravans only. The wardens are up their own chuff. Mind you I've seen some power hungry wardens on the CC&C too. The CC&C is definitely the more friendly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE