campfire talk on BBC Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

youngbushcrafter

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Scotland
I only heard the last of a conversation with a wild fire 'expert' on BBC Scotland.
The most significant things i heard were that he 'recommended' that 'campers' should not light fires at all and the most annoying part was that he 'recommended' that should one see any smoke, they should call 999!
What do you guys think?

Apr 1, 2012
aberdeen
understandable really,but taking it a bit far.but due to recent wild fires in the forests you can see his point.

i personnally use a fire box,and when it goes on sale a biolite.

what date was and what program on radio 2.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Time and place I reckon. It's not always suitable and by the same token it's not always a problem.

Tell you though, the Fire Brigade'll be scunnered sick with call outs if everybody phones them over every wee fire :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

youngbushcrafter

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Scotland
today actually, i think him saying that as soon as you see smoke you should call 999 is a bad recommendation as someone could be even using a stove!

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
It all comes down to common sense really.
As we all know the smoke from someone using a stove is alot different from an actual wild fire or a camp fire. Last night while standing at the back door of my house I could smell what could only be described as a forest fire, problem with that is I live on the main road just outside of Aberdare and there is no forest in the immediate area (less than 10 minutes walk). Should I have phoned the Fire Brigade? It turned out to be someone on my street burning garden waste and the conifers that they had cut during the day.

VFR800Essex

Tenderfoot
Feb 28, 2012
Essex UK
It all comes down to common sense really.
As we all know the smoke from someone using a stove is alot different from an actual wild fire or a camp fire. Last night while standing at the back door of my house I could smell what could only be described as a forest fire, problem with that is I live on the main road just outside of Aberdare and there is no forest in the immediate area (less than 10 minutes walk). Should I have phoned the Fire Brigade? It turned out to be someone on my street burning garden waste and the conifers that they had cut during the day.

One thing i have learnt is that "common sense" is far from common. Doesn't matter what you like doing someone somewhere will always try and ruin your fun. Don't get me started on marriage!!!:)

Sheldon

Jan 2, 2012
Aboyne, Scotland!
Where i live the past month or so we've had really bad forest fires so sure enough i could understand if you see smoke. But theres an estate right near my house which many people walk their dogs, the estate often has fires going burning off excess wood and what not. Seems silly to jump to conclusions and dial 999 when the fire could be planned and under control.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I only heard the last of a conversation with a wild fire 'expert' on BBC Scotland.
The most significant things i heard were that he 'recommended' that 'campers' should not light fires at all and the most annoying part was that he 'recommended' that should one see any smoke, they should call 999!
What do you guys think?

In times of wildfire high risk then i would agree, depending on the location that the lighting of fires should be avoided. As for calling the Fire and Rescue Service, wildfires spread very quickly and cause massive damage, the sooner they are spotted and extinguished the better. its all about the situation, smoke on a heath land? may be worth the call.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Easter holidays coming up. Traditionally this is the time each year when the local heathland at the top of the valley goes up in flames, as local yoof decide that they have nothing better to do...

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Easter holidays coming up. Traditionally this is the time each year when the local heathland at the top of the valley goes up in flames, as local yoof decide that they have nothing better to do...

Guess what? I was up on the heathland just before I posted this, and admiring the new path that had been made, which should greatly reduce the soil erosion on the route from the car park to the summit. Lovely. Went back yesterday...

IMGP0648.jpgIMGP0649.jpg

(For some reason the page crashes if I try to enlarge the pics)

I don't know whether to be angry or despairing. And the easter holidays have barely started.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE