camp smock/poncho

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
well i have just finished an idea that i have been knocking around for a bit,i intend to try it out on my next outing, the smock it made of moleskin so warm and wind proof the back section goes around me keeping my back warm.very good freedom of movement in it.it is held in place by a leather belt with no other ties needed.i have yet to lace up the front to finish it off, i wasent thinking of water proofing it about i might do this later if i can find a waterproofer thatwont change the feel of the moleskin.it can be used as an underblanket as well in my hammock.
10032008274.jpg

10032008275.jpg

10032008276.jpg

10032008282.jpg

thanks for looking.

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
So much of this ye olde stylee gear really appeals to me - why did we ever move away from it? (rhetorical question). It just looks so much more inviting and comfy.

Nice work

Dr O

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
That does look very warm, and quite thicker than I've seen moleskin before.Is it doubled over or just a heavy fabric?

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Looks really good that, bet its comfy to wear too. As to waterproofing what about making something similar out of some lightweight waxcotton material which could be rolled up and carried on belt when not needed?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Now that is fantastic,
I have a length of green moleskin that has been awaiting inspiration - which you have just provided in buckets. I'm compelled to ask what pattern you followed or what were your basic measurements?
Can you guess that I'll be following your lead.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Come on Mentalnurse,
Time to spill the beans!
I've been hacking away at my length of moleskin for a few hours this morning - and while the result is.... ummm..... similar to yours, :eek: (well, its green!) it's nowhere near as tidy looking. I have to say that I cold make an Armani suit look like a sack of spuds, but it's just lacking the finess that yours has for such a simple garment. There must be some pointers that you could dole out to us mortals who are trying to follow your example.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Well,

I made mine last night from a wool blanket. I did it before seeing your plans Carl and to be honest I have pretty much done the same thing only with a round neck. I also put some lacing in the plunge using paracord.

Nat thought it was hilarious and called me Friar Tuck!

I want to find out if I can dye it green :)rolleyes: obviously) so I'm off to the haberdashery in a bit ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE