Camp kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

freespin

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2008
Washington
Hi guys,
I am off on my travels soon and need a decent quality kettle to use on open fires and on top of a woodburning stove.
Most of the ones I have seen around here dont look like they will last 3 months never mind the 1 year will be away.
Any suggestions.............. type of kettle and supplier.
Many thanks F:)

freespin

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2008
Washington
Cheers mate...... already have a msr kettle. Im looking for something a bit more heavy duty, something I can leave on the stove or fire 'simmering' perhaps something about 2 ltr capacity.
I had a excellent ally one seconded from a builing site........ but as always I gave it to the locals when I finished a 8 month overland Africa trip.
Guess I should try a builders merchants!

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
what I have is this little beast - have had it for years now and use it on the gas stove, on the BBQ and over a wood stove outside in the garden, gets used everyday and still going strong. Not cheap but dam good without going cast,

2444_l.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The annoying this is you can't even pick up a nice old cast iron one cheap these days, all the la-dee-da's are buying them for their Agas.

I think Gelert do a fair sized alu one with a metal handle, not sure how it would do in the long run though.

Car boot sales might through up some bargains, but the idea of getting up at 6 o'clock to go shopping with swmbo puts me off somewhat.

I was looking for the same thing a few nights ago

I thought these looked interesting .....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Carp-fishing-...37;3A1|66:4|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:200

Maybe this with a modded handle - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LARGE-6-PINT-...s=65:1|66:4|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:200

This is the same as the Gelert one I saw - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Campingaz-Cam...s=65:1|66:4|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:200

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
T k max are selling 2L ish kettle in stainless steel for £9.99 i bought one to use over a fire cos
!) its stainless steel
2) its got a removable whistle
3) the lifting handle is of curled steel (think telephone cord) so does not retain heat like the handles on the doors of wood burner Stoves
I support it with a butchers type hook from ikea (5 for two quid) using a bit of wood or a tripod from a tripod barbecue ( £19 lidl)

bramble

Mar 4, 2008
Shropshire
Mine is like British Reds and I bought it on a visit to Acton Scott Working Farm Museum for £29.99, and yes, you dont want to carry it too far, its heavy... but its good and will last for ever :D

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Mine is like British Reds and I bought it on a visit to Acton Scott Working Farm Museum for £29.99, and yes, you dont want to carry it too far, its heavy... but its good and will last for ever :D

Acton Scott - is Dusty the Donkey still grumpy?

freespin

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2008
Washington
Thanks for all the info guys........ it is appreciated.

Definately fancy one of those cast iron jobbies.Weight aint a issue.

Will visit TKmax later this week, has to be worth a look. After that I will seek out a cast kettle.

Once again.............. many thanks for all your input.
Regards F

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE