Camelia Cordial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have a Camelia flowering in my courtyard, and although pretty I do feel the flowers are somewhat short lived.

Can I make Cordial ( or something else ) from it??

If I can make cordial what is a simple recipe to follow?? Thank You

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Never heard of using camelias for this. Interested to hear how it goes though.

Cordial's pretty simple, it's just infused water added to a thin sugar syrup.

So, make strong tea and add sugar syrup......500g of sugar to 1lt of water/tea.
Heavy syrup is 500g of sugar to 250ml of water.

More sugar, the better the preservation, but it needs an awful lot of diluting down to be drinkable, and dilution works on the taste too, so it can end up too 'thin', iimmc ?

To be honest, if the flowers are flavourful and/or colourful, I think I'd just dry them and use them for tea.

M

Should of added, you can sugar flowers to preserve them too, usually ones like violets.
You can also steep the flowers directly in the sugar syrup, but sometimes that overcooks them and gives an odd taste. I was most disappointed in rose petals done that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Been thinking about this, since my neighbour's camellia is in flower too, and it's grown through into my hedge, and thus available :)

Apparently the flowers taste as they smell, are good used just as is in salads, and that the buds can be pickled. Thing is though that much of that information comes from those who grow camellias as teaplants and don't really want the flower buds to develop.
So, not sure tbh.
Have fun playing with them I think :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Beautiful :D

Is it tasty ? They smell wonderful here.

It has a certain astringency to the back end. Its pretty and colourful but I don;t think its something that will need revisiting. Thing is you don't know if you don't try. Maybe enhanced/improved with some citrus peel.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE