Calling all Mora gurus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
I looking for a new Mora and would like advice on which ones meet my criteria, it must have

Carbon blade
Full scandi grind not the half grind like on the 2000
Now this is where im having trouble, it must have a large tang exceeding more than half of the handle unlike the Clipper

the only one i can think of is the Mora Hunter/711, can you think of any others

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
the classics are stick tangs, all the way through and then(on mine at least) fastened with a kind of scroll pin thing around the end of the tang, i have the small one and it is brilliant, only had it week or so, but its great, and i have no concerns over the the security of the blade after getting stuck into some Maple the other day. very nice little knives.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
How about the mora triflex 2080, tang is somewhere near 3/4, superb handle, excellent carbon blade available at Heinnies, lakeland bushcraft (Lurch on this forum) and workshop heaven. A sort of review here Triflex

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
How about the mora triflex 2080, tang is somewhere near 3/4, superb handle, excellent carbon blade available at Heinnies, lakeland bushcraft (Lurch on this forum) and workshop heaven. A sort of review here Triflex

ive looked into the triflex model and the tang is exactly the same as the clipper, theres a cutout picture on google images if you search mora triflex tang

charleslockerbie

Jul 9, 2006
Aberdeen
I have the mora triflex bushcraft (same one as pic) and i am very happy with it, iv given it abuse and its still strong, and i can get it shaving sharp without much effort. Needs a better sheath tho, so you have an excuse for some leather work. Not sure on the tang tho.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
have a look at the mora classics chap, very nice indeed

I have a classic No1 which is great and the tang is full length and teh handle is held in place with a spring clip. try HERE

Most knives do not have a full flat grind due to the edge not being strong enough and needing a secondary bevel.

Why do you need a full length tang and full flat grind?

scorpion

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2009
Manchester
I have a classic No1 which is great and the tang is full length and teh handle is held in place with a spring clip. try HERE

Most knives do not have a full flat grind due to the edge not being strong enough and needing a secondary bevel.

Why do you need a full length tang and full flat grind?

what i mean is i prefer the blade style of the clipper instead of the 2000 model because the clipper blade is the same all the way along but the 2000 blade goes thinner when it gets about 2/3 down the blade, and i dont need a full length tang just one that is bigger than the clipper one because ive seen quite a fiew that have failed, the tang is tiny and you can feel flex between handle and blade because its so small

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Most of the clipper failures I have seen have been when they have been used as a pry bar ie not as a knife remember the blade is only 2.5 mm thick or so. Many tools fail when used incorrectly.

As for the blade shape now I see what mean you dont want the type of grind to change along the length of the blade.

The clasics are nice if you can get away with the handle shape.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I have the triflex 780.... I've absolutley leathered it through very knotted wood, even with the last half inch of tip and it just wont die!

Its bonkers how hardy these things are.

al.

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
I loved the old 780s. I battered em senseless and never had a problem with the 1/4 length tang. I agree with Brancho; they don't fail unless you do summat stupid with them.

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Mora 510 (the original red version, not the upmarketed green one ;-) )
Or the classic or a Mora 137, wooden handle (natural color), leathersheath, not sure carbon or not...)

Grtz Johan

is there any difference bettween the original red one an hte reissued green one? apart fro mthe ray mears engraving of course

is there any difference bettween the original red one an hte reissued green one? apart fro mthe ray mears engraving of course

No difference apart from price, availability and engraving....

I just didn't like the thought of it being sold as a favorite knife of Ray while you never saw him with it on shows, all courses were done with a clipper etc....

Mora 510 is one of my favorites though. With the Mora 137 and the Mora 2000....

Grtz Johan

mikey.elefant

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
israel
I use the 510 and bushcraft triflex as my main users, they are both quite strong knives-never failed me.

We have just given out 15 of the 510's to our soldiers so i believe that in a month or so i will be able to tell you how much abuse they will take.
As for the sheaths, i had rapidboy make me two Kydex sheaths for both knives and so far its been a serious upgrade in quality of carry and use.

Best wishes and good luck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE