Byways and highways

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
57cf729753e3ef56f575b26809f52e83.jpg

How's that for a byway! Well I'm impressed anyway..👍😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Id love to know where as my friend and I went greenlaning a few weeks ago and everywhere was either ruined from bikes, heavy ditches where cars get stuck or padlocked shut :(

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
that's nice, I love walking old byways, most by me though are badly churned up by horses or tractors, it's incredibly lightly used and well kept. Is it public or some part of a partridge/pheasant shoot.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
It's public but it runs through to an estate not a dead end but it finishes at the estate farm.
Something else I saw on my walk not seen this colour before, I like that I can still be surprised.
Mmm won't let me upload another pic? Still! It was a pheasant with a white cap and lots of white dotted over the body and tail feathers about 3 feet long, it then decided to walk with me along the path for quite a few minutes..?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
It's public but it runs through to an estate not a dead end but it finishes at the estate farm.
Something else I saw on my walk not seen this colour before, I like that I can still be surprised.
Mmm won't let me upload another pic? Still! It was a pheasant with a white cap and lots of white dotted over the body and tail feathers about 3 feet long, it then decided to walk with me along the path for quite a few minutes..?!

oh I was thinking it might be connected with a shooting estate, that bird sounds like a ''Reeves Pheasant''.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
If you are interested in byways/footpaths that might be relics of old roads have a look at these publications.http://www.harrymargary.com/product_list.asp?type=county . Hopefully a major library near you might have them. Compare the roads shown with the definitive footpath two and a half inch Ordnance Survey maps that should also be there. I did this a lot for berkshire and it is fascinating,

There are others publications that do this as well. Ask your Local History Librarian.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE