Buzzard mk2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Just finished today, a rethink of my buzzard. Blade is around 4 inches with a buffed and polished semi convex edge in 3.8mm D2 with a slight distal taper and 90° spine. Again big thanks to my local uni for the use of their digital kilns. Hardness 56<57 and being convex will take a good hammering. Handle is high contrast English yew with Vulcanised fiber liners and 4.8mm mosaic pins and brass finger guard.

Difference with this version of the buzzard is the lack of finger choil and slightly different tip geometry, along with a slightly slimmer handle. Excuse the smear on the blade that's tung oil, blade is near mirror polished. Regular buzzards will still be coming up this is just an adjustment :)

How does £50 to your door sound?
Or as always repeat customers get 25% off so £37.50 if this adding to your collection ;)

81d755058963ed4aa3b9d0dced5af0ce.jpg

c634a3b9fe09b9b18533e556c2d28db4.jpg

4adaec9ebd1e9d4251bdaa8d441e7914.jpg

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Sounds like a bargain again Mick!
More like a steal actually...
You're an insane hobbyist , obviously with no interest in money.
Does that even cover the cost of materials, let alone time?

This is very interesting, I do like the MK2 design.
Lovely choice of timber too.

Will this be an addition to the designs or do you plan to modify the Buzzard from now on?
(choil removal sounds wrong &#128513;)

It does look like the Kestrel on steroids ...
Please can you explain the advantages (or just differences) of the semi convex edge over a high scandi (like the MK1 Buzzard) ,
And also why the change in tip geometry?

Either way, this won't be here long as it's a lot of knife for the money,
and if swmbo was in a better mood I'd snatch it off your hands today... ;)
But as it is , she'd likely chop my crown jewels off with this lovely semi convex edge ...
as she just found the receipt for my (now hidden) GB wilderness axe...

Lmao

Good Job Mick as always

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Yeah it covers materials and sundry costs but as I said before not in this for the money :) maybe a cheeky couple of pints in there though ;)

The timber I've had around for a while and couldn't find the right knife for it, but in person it looks lovely on this knife. This will be an addition to the line rather than a replacement for the buzzard :)

Convex grinds are very tough compared to scandi, they will tolerate outright abuse in comparison. Supposedly better for splitting too although imo the difference will be minimal, it was more to see if I could do it :). As for the tip geometry that was purely an aesthetic choice. You can run a straight line from the tip through both pins up to the back of the handle and drawing up it had more flow that way, functionality wise should be identical as its still tapered the same way etc, just not so pointy and a bit more dropped in.

Haha. I know that feeling! I'm sure it'll go to a good home :)

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I see ... Thanks for explaining all of that, I'm sorry for the rookie questions
Cheers

I love my MK1 and it's still razor sharp , after all the splitting , feathering, slicing and carving...

£50 delivered is just such a bargain...

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I see ... Thanks for explaining all of that, I'm sorry for the rookie questions
Cheers

I love my MK1 and it's still razor sharp , after all the splitting , feathering, slicing and carving...

£50 delivered is just such a bargain...

Not rookie questions at all mate :) awesome to hear its still treating you well and to know my work is being used, that's why I do it :)

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Cheers man :) handmade shouldn't have to mean expensive, and its a hobby that I love not my day job so profit isn't what I'm after, I just like the idea of people using something that I've made

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2016
london
Absolute bargain. That is lovely Mick, and the price is way, way out. Someone is getting a steal.

if so way out buy it or let the man sell it for what he thinks is a fair price if he was to increase his price on your recommendation he may lose people who buy his knifes because there a fair price

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
You couldn't do worse than get one of these, I have one. I'll do a proper review when I get to use it in anger but it's a cracking knife, as soon as you hold it out just feels right, a good fit in the hand, a nice weight it feels robust without being too heavy, all in all a very nice knife at a great price.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
You couldn't do worse than get one of these, I have one. I'll do a proper review when I get to use it in anger but it's a cracking knife, as soon as you hold it out just feels right, a good fit in the hand, a nice weight it feels robust without being too heavy, all in all a very nice knife at a great price.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Cheers Al, this one is a similar weight but more blade heavy. Similar balance but slightly more front end

Although I hope you mean could do worse ;)

Last edited:

Tiki

Aug 31, 2016
Oxfordshire
Hi,
This is my first post on here so apologies if it's cheeky but could I please buy your lovely knife? I would be thrilled to own and use it.
Cheers
Tiki

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE