butternut bowl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I just finished carving a butternut bowl for a holiday gift. I have a "semi" tutorial here for those who might be interested.

octagon_bowl9b.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Lovely piece of work that Hoodoo, and a great tutorial to match.

I like those long handled "spoon" knives.

D

Dunne

that is a nice bowl ,i would say if turned or if you can get a longer peice you mit be able to curve it like one of those viking bowls , good work

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
A gouge and hammer will work just fine for taking out the material, and probably will be much quicker than burning. An adze works as well but it takes more skill to use. Lacking fine carving tools though, I would imagine fire would be the best alternative, then use stone scrapers to sculpt and finish the bowl. Making bowls from gourds, though, is a lot easier, and clay is another alternative. :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
excellent work! beautiful! nice tutorial too. Good advert for 'Flexcut' with those images hehe..

Jon, the more I use Flexcut, the more I love 'em. I love the new line they have out. Short enough to give you good control for hand carving and long enough to give you some power or use with a mallet. I picked this whole set up for less than $140. Woodcraft had them on sale.

flexcut_gouge_chisel_set1b.jpg

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Thank you Hoodoo
Nice tools! having seen how long it takes to gouge out a small kuksa using a spoon knife, I was wondering is there was an alternative to drilling out! Gives a new understanding as to why people used clay!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE